1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A94 Code - Does it have to be the inverter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NattieLight, May 23, 2022.

1. NattieLight

NattieLight New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys! Me again…does a P0A94 always mean the inverter is bad?

I really appreciate any help here. I’m getting some mixed answers from different shops and I’m just confused.

I have a 2004 Toyota Prius that needs a new hybrid battery. I originally took it to one shop that ran five codes, and quoted me $1800 for a refurbished Dorman battery - yeah no.

They said that they didn’t think there was anything wrong with the inverter but there was no way to tell unless they had a good working battery, as the inverter cannot do its job without a good battery.

I called a different place that specifically sells and rebuilds batteries, they were much cheaper for a battery ($700), but they would not install one unless I got my inverter fixed because they said that code is specifically for the inverter. (P0A94). They didn’t look at my car they’re just going specifically off the code that I emailed them.

Today I got another opinion and I had Toyota look at the vehicle, and they said that P0A94 code is in relation to the hybrid battery and not the inverter…is this right? He essentially said that the car is smart, it knows what it’s doing and it would not have let that much damage go to the inverter. It’s the battery. He also said it wouldn’t be driving right now if that was the case… which I thought I read it would still drive if the inverter went out. Sigh.

I don’t know anything. I’m not well versed on cars or being a mechanic. I’m just scared if I get a new battery the inverter will be next. The person on the phone told me multiple times it’s not the inverter. They would know, right?

The other codes are p3000, p0301, p3014, b2799, and P0A80.

Any experiences with that code?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi... I worked on an Idaho Prius once... So much dust!

Ya'lls roads are really rough on the suspension too!

Those error codes look like a number of codes that have built up over time and how soon the engine and immobilizer one comes back needs to be a concern.

As for the Inverter, you can get error codes for inverter when only battery has problems and inverter is ok because the inverter manages all the big voltages in the car so it's quick to take others parts problems as its own personal problem. (we all need at least one friend like that, lol).

As for rebuilt batteries they're good for 3 months to 3 years depending on quality of work of the rebuilder, not the price.

As for brand new OEM Toyota batteries that solves your problem for over a decade or longer and there was briefly an abundant of supply with prices under $2k in recent years, but seems scarcity is driving prices up for these new packs to as high as $4K from some Seattle dealerships.

Last and in my opinion best option for decade or longer solution is a Lithium pack upgrade that is selling out the last of its inventory for 2022 in next week or two for $2K. Prices will be significantly higher in 2023.

And if you use my affiliate link I can offer you unlimited free tech support / discount on installation: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

NattieLight likes this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No.

It could be:
    • Wire harness or connector
    • Hybrid vehicle transaxle assembly
    • Hybrid vehicle motor
    • Hybrid vehicle generator
    • Hybrid vehicle control ECU
    • Inverter with converter assembly.
    Which one of these things is indicated by the detailed INF code that goes along with the main DTC. There are 4 main INF codes: 442, 545, 546, and 547. There are a further 19 INF codes – 548 through 561, 583 through 585, and 587 through 590. With some of those INF codes, you can experience normal driving, and with others, you will experience limited driving. Additional problems areas associated with these other INF codes might include:
    • Cooling fan motor
    • No. 2 cooling fan motor
    • Inverter cooling system
    • Water pump with motor assembly
    • Service plug grip
    • High voltage fuse
    • Battery ECU

As PriusCamper said it could also be that a bad hybrid vehicle (HV) battery is causing problems for the inverter and you have codes indicating the HV battery needs replacing (P0A80 and P3014).

It is a difficult time right at the moment to be dealing with HV battery issues.

All the best.

#3 dolj, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
    NattieLight likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You'll be getting a battery in short order it's going to fail very soon fall flat on its face you should be down to about 37 mi a gallon around now?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have multiple threads going it’s going to be a mess keeping up with them. Just keep going on your original thread,

if I recall you have 217k miles. It’s an 18 year old car. Your not a car guy your not an electronics expert. Because of that this is a very poor choice of car to own at its end of life. It’s a very complicated car as you are finding out and will be expensive and a frustrating hassle to keep it on the road. Sometimes and maybe soon you will be forced to take it to the dealer @ $175 an hour.

Clearly it’s time to move on from this car.