1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. CRF450L

CRF450L New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 05 Prius with 138k on it. Owned since new and maintained by Toyota dealership. The dealer wants way too much to go after a P0A94 code (inverter MG ECU failed).
    My question is, how likely is it that the inverter is bad ? I have talked to other Prius owners with higher mileage and non have seen the inverter be bad. So I am looking for a starting point before replacing the inverter. The only other code that comes up is P0A78 (batter terminals, ground cable, HV batt. & hybrid transmission). I am looking into these possibilities in the mean time.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

BTW, P0A94 does not mean inverter MG ECU failed, the fortune cookie message for that code is DC/DC Converter Performance, which as you can see is pretty generic. In addition, there are 25 INF (or sub) codes associated with the specific DTC. You would be advised to get the INF code (by clicking in to the FFD (freeze frame data) by clicking the snowflake icon to the left of the code (in Techstream), to narrow down the problem area. Further, there are specific diagnostic trees available depending on the INF code.

It would be a good idea to follow the repair manual's diagnostic tree for this one. You can find the repair manual at Toyota TIS for $15 per 2 business days. You can print off any relevant part of the repair manual for as long as your subscription is current.

Hope that is some help.

#2 dolj, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That dc-dc nag shows up sometimes if you reverse jumped the 12 volt battery and it blows up the Inverter.

Any recent shenanigans with the 12 volt battery?

There's alot of Inverters on ebay for $200-300.

4. Mr Jones

Mr Jones New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today my 2012 Prius 2 showed P0A94 code which i believed is (inverter MG ECU failed). I took it to Toyota of El Cajon here in San Diego and I was told the the repair will be covered under the warranty. The Inverter will not be replaced but repair parts/ kits only. I'm glad for this group chat because it gave me the idea to bring it to the dealership hoping that it will be covered under warranty. Just FYI the car had a safety recall E0E-REFLASH MOTOR GENERATOR & POWER MANAGEMENT ECU-PRIUS back on 5/2014 with just 35,000 miles on it. I also have read about the Warranty Enhancement Notification- ZE3 through this thread!
    Great job prius owners for this discussion!