1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0A94 error on Australian Gen 3 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kimmy176, Sep 23, 2016.

1. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius had a major 120K kms service on Saturday 27th August (the car has done 92K kms but due to age, it was due for it's 6 month service). The total service included a throttle body clean which they asked to do over the phone.

The following Saturday 3rd September is when it displayed "check hybrid system" warning and gave the codes below. It only showed the P0A94 code for me (using obd adapter and Torque app). It has been at the dealer since Thursday 8th September as that's when they could fit it in. From what I've read online this code points to inverter failure which isn't covered in Australia under the 8 year hybrid warranty (it is covered in the US though). They did replace the hybrid battery under warranty however any further diagnosis they want to charge me for as it out of the 3 year Toyota warranty.

I have no idea where I stand because I think it is something they did during the major service that has caused this (perhaps the throttle body clean) but I have no way to prove this. Should I take this to Toyota Head Office?

This is one of the emails from the Toyota dealer:

<quote>I believe I have answered any questions you have sent me. I will put it all together for you as they were scattered through multiple email replies.

Your Prius was presented to us with the fault codes as follows:

P0a94/ 557 or 553
    C1259
    C1310

We started with the hv battery replacement as the codes we had pointed to the battery which we knew needed replacement and this could be done for you under warranty as the hv battery is covered for 8 year \160000 km.

Codes c1259 and c1310 have not reappeared since the hv battery replacement. The warning lights are still on the display. A road test was carried out and the fault is still there after the hv battery was replaced. The code p0a94 is still present and will need further investigation . After speaking to the tech who has been working on your car he has said there is a possibility that whatever is causing the p0a94 code has caused the fault in the hv battery. The service advisor who is looking after your car tried to call both of the numbers left with us on Thursday and left messages but we have not had a reply.

At this point we will need your authorisation to continue to investigate this further as this will be at your expense due to the vehicle no longer being within the 3 year/100000 kms warranty period. Would you like us to continue the diagnosis of code p0a94? This code leads to quite a few different areas and the diagnosis is quite a lengthy task. Our labour rate is $140 per hour but I will not be able to give you an exact quote on repairs until we find the cause of this code.<end quote>

#1 kimmy176, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were you having any drivability problems?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I thought I'd look up Aus $ to Can $ conversion and, they're dead-even right now, lol.

$1200 for a service, (near) $300 for throttle body clean and wiper inserts, $140 hourly rate, they're definitely doing you any favours.

They've done a lot of fishing, and are hardly closer to resolving this. Hard to say what's the best course. Keep your cool, ask the questions. Hopefully works out.

4. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, driveability issues at all, car has had all its services for its age. After the error the car could still be driven but didn't have the same power.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is a drivability issue. you're saying with the new battery you still lack power?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I thought you meant before the error message, if I had driveability problems. I haven't received the car back yet after the hv battery replacement. Dealer reported the two subset error codes of 553 and 557 were still being displayed after the replacement as per their email above.

bisco likes this.
  7. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone else experienced this error out of the 3 year warranty? What was the cause? Did Toyota pay for it? Or did you have to pay?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you had any rodent problems?

9. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I am aware of. The car just had a major service which included inspection of various parts of the vehicle, and the dealer did not report anything out of the ordinary. But I probably should have checked for myself.

Inspected radiator & condenser for debris & signs of damage.
    Inspected cooling system, hoses & connections.
    Inspected inverter coolant.
    Inspected engine coolant.
    Replaced air filter element.
    Inspected battery electrolyte, cleanliness & security.
    Inspected fuel cap, fuel vapour control valve & fuel lines.
    Inspected charcoal canister.
    Inspected brake pads & discs.
    Checked brake pipes & hoses.
    Inspected steering wheel, gear & linkages.
    Inspected front & rear suspension.
    Inspected ball joints & dust covers.
    Inspected drive shafts including CV boots.
    Checked exhaust system for security & leaks.

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did they provide you with any notes on the above services?

Otherwise some time with the Prius might be in store this weekend:).

11. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They said everything was fine and there were no notes on the paperwork. I won't be able to check myself as the car has been at the dealer since Thursday 8th September :eek:

12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    :(:(Ouch:mad:!

Did they ever determine the hybrid specific codes that were referenced in your OP next to P0494? Have you just been doing research since sept 8th? If you were not satisfied with this dealer, do you have any other options? You could always get the car towed and the re-evaluate your options.

It sounds like this dealer might not be too helpful:(.

13. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Latest update from the dealer in regards to my Prius:

We have come to a section of the testing where it has told us to replace a part. The manual says this part which I believe is the inverter or part of the inverter needs to be replaced before we can proceed.

This part is quite expensive and may not be the cause of the issue.

The repair manual says if this does not repair the issue it indicates to move on to inspecting the transmission but as stated this will need to be replaced before testing on the transmission can proceed . We are starting a hotline case with Toyota tomorrow to discuss where we are up to and for them to go over with us what we have found.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be worth searching for a non dealer hybrid mechanic who would install used parts. if you're going to play whack a mole, might as well do it a inexpensively as possible.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that here in Sydney there aren't any hybrid mechanics other than the dealers. So I'm left with not much choice... It's already been to one dealer that basically charged $165 to give the same error codes I already got with an obd adapter and the torque app. That dealer wanted $990 to do further diagnosis. This one isn't much better but have replaced the hybrid battery under warranty but the car still has the P0A94 error.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Latest update from the dealer is below. I am wondering if I can just purchase this part (from the US, as we don't seem to have that part here) and get an car electrician to install it?

I have received a response from Toyota and they have said to continue we must follow the workshop manual and replace the transistor kit.

After this is replaced if the fault is still there we then have to continue to check wiring from the inverter to the transmission and the transmission itself.

To replace the Transistor kit parts will cost $2220.00 and labour would be $420.

As previously stated this is the next step in the diagnosis procedure and may not resolve the issue.

17. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's taken me going to Department of Fair Trading and taking Toyota Head office to the tribunal but they finally fixed my Prius at their cost in January 2017. They replaced the transistor kit, hybrid transaxle assembly and the power control module. But then took the car back the very next day due to a fuel issue.

I got the car back in February 2017 after they fixed the distorted fuel tank which was related to this recall which had been performed on the car previously - Toyota Australia to recall vehicles due to fuel suction plate

The car even went back to them for its 6 month service in March without any issues.

Then on Saturday 15th July, whilst waiting at a intersection with traffic lights to turn, the car turned itself off and gave the 'check hybrid system' warning. After attempting to start the car three times it refused to start so I turned it off and got out of the car. My other half then came to assist and on the second attempt the car started without the warning. I then drove it home through the back streets, less than 5 minutes away.

I called Toyota and they arrived 30 minutes later and drove the car back to them. It is now Wednesday evening and they still haven't contacted me regarding the car. My other half told me to email them instead of calling them so that we have an email trail, and my email from Tuesday at lunchtime still hasn't been answered.

The parts that they replaced in January 2017 did come with a 12 month warranty which was clearly stated on the order. But the inconvenience of all of this is very frustrating.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#17 kimmy176, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update, Toyota delivered my Prius to my work today.
    This is what they say was wrong with it:

"The Prius has been repaired and tested. One of the wiring harnesses in the vehicle was repaired. The codes were cleared and the vehicle road tested and no fault has reappeared."

19. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And my Prius is back again at Toyota a week later with the same "check hybrid system" error :(

20. kimmy176

kimmy176 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota had my Prius from Wednesday 9th August until Monday 14th August. This is what their nil charge Invoice states:

CHECK HYBRID WARNING LIGHT CAME ON AGAIN. WENT OUT TO PICK UO THE VEHICLE AND IT WOULD NOT START. JUMP STARTED AND DROVE BACK TO WORKSHOP OK. PLEASE CHECK checked no start check hybrid system warning on. insufficient output from 12 v battery. suspect current draw causing concern as vehicle required jump start. checked dtc and c2300 Actuator system malfunction present. freeze frame data at time of occurance shows battery voltage at 6.48v. checked battery 340/325 cca good battery. checked current draw at 0.024 amps which is acceptable. checked 12v battery charge rate at 14.5 v all ok. checked for voltage drop between battery and front fuse box - no voltage drop, cleared dtc and roadtested vehicle. no further warning lights on dash. believe low 12v battery voltage caused warning lights to come on as freeze frame data showed and vehicle had to be jump started. after jumpstart and drive back to workshop battery tested all ok.