1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6, C1310, C1275, B2775 All After Traction Battery Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by M in KC, Mar 12, 2016.

1. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So Wednesday our '05 with 92K on the clock throws a the P0A80 (the death card for the traction battery) as confirmed by the Toyota dealership. I replaced the 12v aux battery Thursday as the one that in there was marginal in performance after 4 years of service. So after much mental wrangling I choose to go the reman route for the traction battery a Dorman through my NAPA parts house.

After talking with a couple of folks and securing the proper safety equipment and doing some research I figured I could swap the batteries myself. The swap was uneventful except for the P0AC0 code for not reinstalling the orange safety plug before trying to start everything up. Re-installed the plug and the code is resolved along with the original P0A80. However....P0AA6, C1310, B2775 and C1259 are now registering.

Initially after replacing the traction battery I was able to start the ICE for a minute or so. After all the dash light lit up again, I turned everything off and hooked up my Mini VCI and pulled the four codes. As I understand it since DTC P0AA6 and C1310 are logged I'm unable to make READY.

Reading other threads about the P0AA6 C1310 DTC's doesn't leave me much hope. Its hard to believe those would be thrown sitting still. The transaxle fluid was changed at 50K and the invertor pump and coolant were last changed at 30K under the extended service campaign.

All thoughts, suggestions and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your primary concern should be the P0AA6:

P0AA6 = Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault

which (most likely) means you have a voltage leakage to ground in the HV battery pack. There are other causes for this fault, so you need to also retrieve the 3 digit sub-code to further narrow down the cause.

The other codes, C1310 and C1259 are logged by the ABS noting that the Battery ECU has logged a fault.

Search on P0AA6 for other threads where Patrick Wong has responded with details of how to further diagnose and steps to take to fix, e.g. Warning Lights, Triangle ! and VSC. Transmission Problems? or Prius no go! No codes found. These are just two threads, there are many others.

Hope that helps.

3. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you get the three digit codes with the mini vci?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you have to "drill down" into the "freeze frame" data to get it. You do this by clicking on the light blue "snowflake" icon to the left of the trouble code. The sub-codes are on the lines with "Detailed Information 1 thru 5" -- 1 code per line.

5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, 526 and 612.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Info code 612 is pointing to a high voltage ground fault within the traction battery. Time to complain to the vendor and get a replacement.

7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Exactly my hunch. dolj and Patrick, thank you friends.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How much did you pay for this remanufactured Dorman?

What were the costs of Toyota dealers selling a new HV Batt online near you? You would have to swap over the ECUs from old HV Batt to the new replacement though.

Cheapest New HV Batt near me is $2071.

9. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It was an interesting experience. Everybody was right at $2568 for the battery but no one in Kansas City would sell it to me over the counter all siting safety concerns. The St. Joe dealership would sell me the battery over the counter same $2568.

I'm going to try and back out of the Dorman at NAPA tomorrow doubt they will do that but we'll see, and go to Rolling Hills Toyota. While I can install HV batteries in 3 or 4 hours now, I simply would like to do other things with my time.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When my time comes to replace the HV Battery, I look forward to raining misery on the Toyota dealership and corporate Toyota, for their franchisee's refusal. They will have a hard time justifying their position when all dealerships sell brake components no questions asked. If safety was a true concern they would not sell brake components. A 2 ton+ vehicle with improperly installed brakes can cause more carnage than a DIYer electrocuting him/herself with an HV Battery.

Hmm, I bet dealers choose refusal, hoping to convert a percentage of these refusals to a CPO or a new vehicle sale.

#10 exstudent, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    SFO likes this.
  11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could fight that battle now, as opposed to waiting for battery failure.

SFO likes this.
  12. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, things are looking better. I threw the old traction battery back in and now I can make the car READY. It was clearly an issue with the remanned battery. NAPA, stood right up and issued a full refund for the Dorman. While I feel a little defeated in the fact that I couldn't or at least at this time am unwilling to fix the problem myself, I can find some solace in the fact that I can now pull and replace a Gen2 traction battery in under 1.5 hours by myself, I am way more familiar with my Mini VCI and this is an extremely knowledgeable and responsive board.

13. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to hear you still had your original battery. If you had turned it in as a core the situation would be much more complicated.

Brad

14. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Brad, that was my fear as well. She goes on the flatbed tomorrow and under the knife Thursday. It will be interesting to see my labor portion of the bill as I have the entire interior out (up to the rear seats out) so all the tech has to do is unbolt/unclip the old battery transfer whatever components from the old battery to the new, bolt it in and run a diagnostic check. I was told by one dealership the job books at 5 hours.

15. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If they bill you for the full 5 hours, I'd be sure to make a second trip with all of my interior in the back and have the tech reassemble it. :)

16. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, (deep sigh) $3200 and our Prius is back mobile again. $2600 and change for the battery, $317 in labor, taxes "shop supplies" (which is comical) and not a big line of BS from the service writer when I picked it up. Thanks everyone for your guidance and counseling.