1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6(Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault) & car does not start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cody26, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They look like the same, I will check again.

2. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

It looks like I figured out the hv leakage to the ground as in the picture. Looking at it, should I change every single module leaking or they might get better in condition after reconditioning?

On the second picture, I have a terminal, one of which is like new in wires inside the cable, and the second one is covered in blue on the head and the wires inside look old. How should I clean it? Also, do I have to replace one of the terminals?

Attached Files:

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on finding the source of the leak!
    You have probably learned a TON since your initial August post.

If you have the funds, I'd suggest replacing the cable.
    The cable itself could be internally corroded. Unfortunately you can't really tell without removing the sheathing.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A. In my case, I replaced only the modules on that section of the leak. You could do the same too.

But remember, you have to disassemble all the modules from the pan, to be sure, the leak, isn't seeping downwards from modules at the battery ECU side.

If you remove all the 28modukea and check, and you do not see any leaks descending from the ECU side to where you currently have the leaks, then you can replaced only the ones at that section of the leak you showed in your picture.

Remember to get hobby chargers to help you with the discharge/charge cycling of the modules(inclusive of the replacement ones you would be getting from eBay, or anyone on PC here).

B. For the blue stuff, that's some kind of electrolytes leaks from the modules stud.

You could clean that up(I used electronic cleaner), and it would serve you. I didn't replace an entire battery cabling with new. Although, I'd you have the cash, you can opt for new, if you want to.

Congrats on your finds.

PS: picture below is an example of what I'm talking about if the leaks starts upstream from the battery ECU side.

Dxta

Attached Files:

Cody26 likes this.
  5. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    when this happened to my 08 i found the bad mod with a voltmeter.. the bad one will have a voltage reading from the screw hole on the bottom .. black to neg, red to the screw hole I had 7.4 volts, mod next to it 6.8 so i changed them both.. going on 2 years no other issues

Skibob likes this.
  6. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks. Just a follow-up question. If I change the modules where the leak is, then I have to change close to 10 modules. Apparently, most of them look good. I guess after reconditioning with Prolong set, those modules will get better.

If I change those 10 modules, that will sum up to around 350$ which is somewhat a lot for me to spend.

One more question, does the module capacity improve if I discharge and charge multiple times?
    Any experience on that?

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, it does improve as you cycle them.

If you don't replace those modules, what do you want to do to Sol e the problem?

You already have loss of capacity in some modules, via the leaks.

8. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    To cycle the weak modules several times. If that solves the problem to a greater extent, then I will play with modules to increase the capacities. What do you think I should do? If buying modules is a better thing, I would do that.

9. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy the replacement modules and then cycle them with the good ones in your pack. That should fix em up

Tbkilb01 and Cody26 like this.
  10. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    PriusCamper advised to weigh the modules and see if they differ. Sound like a good idea. I will try that first and if I won't find any difference I will buy replacement modules.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacing 10 modules is a pretty big number.
    Are you certain that you need 10?
    That will introduce a large amount of variance.

Al Bundy likes this.
  12. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not sure. But I counted 10 modules around the leak. But it might just be one spreading around but hard to say which one exactly.

13. Cody26

Cody26 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey all,
    Thanks all for your help. So, I am close to putting back the battery pack. I will give write some updates after the installation.

The steps I followed:

1. Before disassembling everything from the pack, charge fully all the modules
    I use dual chargers, and charge the modules at 2.5 amp and takes around 2.5 hours. I think higher amps are fine but the charging process might terminate earlier than expected

1. Then discharge all of them to 6 volts and there is no need to discharge below that as it will discharge fast after 6 volts(risk of damaging the modules) and the benefit is less. I discharge them using 20 watt/12v bulbs each and it approximately takes 3.5 hours.

2. As you do 1 and 2, take some data to determine which module is really weak compared to others

3. Complete 1-3 three times

4. Replace the bad module

5. Final balance all the modules in your own way. Different people do differently

My modules showed >5000 mah individually which I think will work another 2-3 years.

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This thread popped up on me during a search. I was glancing through it and just wanted to mention that early in the post, #17 actually, there is a photo (5th one) from the OP that shows shortwave highest value was 2.13V.