1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AA6 Next Step Suggestions? Dr. Prius / Torque

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by personalityprofile, Aug 24, 2021.

1. personalityprofile

personalityprofile New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got a P0AA6 error recently but don't have a way to pull the sub code. Car drove home fine that day, I reset the code and have been driving it a since. Car is a 2011 with 163k miles. Previous owner replaced the battery with a reconditioned one a few years ago, and then replaced a few cells later but I don't think he balanced them. I feel like replacing the cells one at a time is going to be a constant headache. Dr Prius Says "Poor balance block: #1, 2, 3, 14 - Poor balance block: #8". 8 looks like the real problem from watching the Dr Prius app while driving.
    Should I be thinking about going with a Prolong? Any other suggestions?

Car was averaging about 42 mpg for the first few thousand miles I drove it, now down to 40mpg

There are a bunch of screenshots from Dr. Prius and Torque here:

2. personalityprofile

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I should also mention that the inverter was replaced just before I bought the car back in May

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From previous work performed on the car, the most important thing you can do right now is get the subcode to determine the actual location of the problem, unless you're familiar with ground fault isolation and operation of a megger device.

I'd hate to think the inverter got changed out trying to chase down a P0AA6

4. personalityprofile

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Probably a dumb question, but I can't pull a sub code if i've already cleared the code, right?

Do you think the P0AA6 is unrelated to the battery stuff that Dr. Prius is showing? I had just washed the car when it came one, so possibly water intrusion/grounding related?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    block number 8 might have a leaky cell. the code is a high voltage leak. subcode will narrow it down.

if it's not in the battery, you have to check the tranny, inverter and a/c compressore, along with the wiring harness.
    maybe water did get in somewhere

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, absolutely it's unrelated to the sort of battery stuff Dr. Prius shows.

P0AA6 can be related to moisture/humidity, but whether it is in this case is just something to be found out. Best thing is if it is reported again, read the INF codes. If 526 is the only one, don't clear anything, power the car off and back on again, read the INF codes again.

If you can't get the specific INF code (the one that isn't 526), it's still possible to troubleshoot the issue, you just have to go through all the tests in the P0AA6 section of the manual. Having the specific INF code lets you focus on that one area and skip the others.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a strange flurry of P0AA6 this week. post pandemic corrosion?