1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some customers with 2004 to 2008 model year Prius vehicles may experience a M.I.L. "ON" condition with DTC P0AA6 or P3009 with information codes 526 and 613.

2. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Then again, some may not.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You never can tell.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having the MIL on with DTC P0AA6 and inf 526 and 613. But i can drive normally if i reset the dtc. But it comes again when i stop the car but i can reset it again. Now i am waiting for a HV transaxle to arrive by air which may take a week or more for the replacement. Is it safe for me to reset the dtcs and drive.

6. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    anybody has an idea how much weigh the hv transaxle assembly?

7. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    P0AA6 is a 'hybrid battery voltage system isolation fault'. The car will drive normally until you turn it off, then it won't go into READY. It indicates that the car thinks that there's a possibility of shock from the HV battery, because there was an unexpected voltage drop somewhere in the system.

This code was changed between 2005 and 2006 model years, by SAE's request. 2005 and earlier cars - with tinted brake light lenses - report code P3009.

I would do a lot of testing with a megohmmeter, as described in the service manual, to ensure it was definitely the transaxle that was faulty. It's an expensive and complicated part to replace.

8. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks

As a newbie, I Am still not sure 100% if everything i am doing is right.

I checked the standard resistance for 6 terminals ( 3 for MG1) and (3 for MG2). The first 3 are above 10 MΩ as per service manual. Only the other 3 terminals for MG2 is giving less resistance. According to the Repair Manual, i come to the conclusion that i need to change the HV Transaxle Assembly.

Tommorrow I am also taking to the toyota dealer for an another check.
    Any suggestions i will appreciate.

9. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today i went to the toyota dealer and they scan the problem and they said the following:-

MG2 TORQUE WAS SHOWING NEGRATIVE RPM
    STATE OF CHARGE INCREASED BY 0.3 INSTEAD OF 0.5

THEY SAID THEY NEED AROUND 1 WEEK TO CHECK THE PROBLEM.
    I TOOK MY CAR BACK.

ANYBODY KNOWS ABOUT THIS ISSUE. PLEASE HELP

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It still sounds like the cvt needs to be replaced. But I wouldn't have any faith in your dealership

11. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cvt stand for ?
    We opened the Invertor and we measured the insulation resistance for the 6 terminals from the transaxle. one set of 3 terminals resitance are above 10 Mohm while other 3 terminals are not. The other 3 terminals are also showing me continuity to the ground.

Do i need to replace the transaxle?
    Pls help

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Continuously Variable Transmission

I'm going to research the DTC and your measurements a bit more. Hold off on ordering an expensive part until you have all the facts

13. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Still researching

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    According to the information I have for a 2004 Prius, the Pa006 code isn't used. The P3009 requires additional troubleshooting, depending on inf reported

Eg inf 526 requires checking insulation. For example, you're supposed to use a megger to check with the connector detached, service plug open in rear, everything off

The first check is at the connector shell, which tests the wire insulation to the back of the car. Using the megger with one end to body ground and the other end to each of the 3 pins, the insulation resistance should be 3 Mohm or higher.

With the plug still disconnected, using the megger at the cvt case, each pin to ground should be 2 Mohm or higher.

You're supposed to carefully check underneath for the condition of the hv cables. With everything still disconnected, you're also supposed to check the battery ecu and the main power relay for sticking.

Inf 526 lists the following possible problems:

Frame wire
    System main relay
    System main resistor
    HV battery assembly
    w/motor compressor assembly
    Battery ecu
    HV transaxle assembly
    w/converter inverter assembly
    Main battery cable
    Main battery cable 2
    Battery servicing plug
    Frame wire 2
    Junction block assembly

Inf 613 concerns the cvt m/g's and/or the inverter converter. However, not sure why both 526 and 613 would be set

Each step requires additional diagnostics to rule them out. I wouldn't go just replacing parts, especially expensive parts. It sounds like your dealership is incapable of performing proper diagnostics

Toyota Europe offers a subscription to very detailed diagnostic procedures. It is probably worth your while to subscribe and learn how to do these diagnostics, as a replacement cvt is +$4,000 usd

16. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply.

I was out of the country for more than 1 week and did not check these threads.

I have got the techincal bulletin for prius which we bought in UK where it gives the detailed diagnostic procedures.
    The only problem was i did not have the toyota intelligent tester II so every time i had to go to a garage and they were not able to properly used it. So i bougth a copy of the tester II from china and it is up to date.

Well i carried out all the test according to the technical manual and there is one point it says the problem could be either from the transaxle or the invertor.

There, we checked the ohm of the connecter cables from HV battery and from the transaxle. On the transxle side the ohm were not more 3 Mega ohm as specified in the manual. And the cable showed continuity to the ground which it should not. So we came to the conclusion that the problem is from the motor.

AS the technical manual say we need to replace the transaxle instead of repairing i bougt a second hand transaxle from UK for USD 1000 and will be reaching here in 2 weeks. I will keep u informed.

17. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unless the impedance from the HV battery to ground is low, I don't see a risk in not fixing this, if it works OK otherwise. I think that the problem can be fixed with 2 balancing resistors between the battery + and - after the relays and ground. I suspect the computer looks for an imbalance in the voltage + and -. Anyone no for sure?

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery ECU is looking for a ground fault with the high voltage lines. All high voltage (the + and - sides of the traction battery as well as the 3-phase AC) is supposed to be totally isolated from ground.

The OP's vehicle has a ground fault in a component. It appears that the OP disconnected the MG1 and MG2 cables and found that some of the MG terminals have less than infinite resistance to ground. This is proof that the MG stator windings have a short somewhere. Disregarding the safety issues associated with that, the transaxle is not going to perform much longer with a bad MG winding.

19. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How much lower resistance did Mahen find? If it is very low, I would agree and replace the CVT. However, if it is 100K or 10K instead of 10M, the fault may have no effect on operation, and may not fail further for years. There is probably no way of knowing without seeing what happens. If it was my car, and the impedance was high, I would try to find away to not get the DTCs without changing the CVT. There is really no danger from shock in the car, only under the hood near the invertor, if you hit a battery contact and the chassis.

20. mahen

mahen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday i received the used transaxle i purchased from UK. I replaced the transaxle. It took us around 12 hours and now the car is working fine. No MIL anymore. I used my ohm meter, Tester II and the repair manual. I got the help of a mechanic and he has never worked on prius before. We removed the Invertor assembly for him and he did the rest for us. I took several pictures which i will post to show you the various steps to replace the transaxle. Now i have only one headache. The map, info, ac button on the steering keypad is not working. The rest of the buttons like volume, telephone etc are working. Anyone have an idea about this?