1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P0AFC-123 has anyone solved this code before?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pancake, Dec 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. pancake

pancake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone, I have only found one post about this code, but I didn't see any solutions.

The thread:
    Need help diagnosing P0AFC | PriusChat

The Toyota dealership service rep. didn't want to say anything other than that we need a further diagnostic. I can understand not having an exact answer, but I don't understand why he cannot tell me where they plan to start looking, what scenario causes this code... something other than, "we don't know we need to do another diagnostic." I understand that another diagnostic is needed, but I don't feel comfortable just saying yes to "we have a code, we don't know what it means, we need to do another diagnostic (that costs $340)" with nothing.. like did the basic diagnostics cover anything? Did they check the 12V battery? What happens if the repair is less than $340 (the diagnostic fee can be applied to the repair). I'm sorry but I am at a loss by why the man cannot tell me anything. At the very least he can ask the mechanic what the plan is for this further diagnostic?

I plan to revisit the shop, but to the usual service rep (I had an appointment with him, but I showed up and this man can't keep his story strait except for "I cannot tell you anything else we need to do the diagnostic."

The code is P0AFC-123. Internet searches for this code points towards the hybrid battery sensor/connections, which leads me to believe that.. it is just something to do with the connection to the hybrid battery. The battery is still holding a charge, but it is not charging while the car is moving. I would like to think that if the hybrid battery had problems.. there would be more codes than just the P0AFC-123.

Background info:
    - 12V just replaced with the Toyota true start battery (it was a good price)
    - Car hasn't moved since April; Starting February '23 it will not be driven every day.
    - check hybrid system message, Triangle with the !, ((!)), the skid light, and the white READY light are all on.

tldr; is there really nothing more to this code other than "we need to do a diagnostic?"

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. pancake

pancake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The problem seems simply put then..

That would be the same as this literature?

zatonevkredit.ru/repair_manuals/raw_content/RM1000000011XZ1.xml

By internal malfunction, is this internal to the smart battery unit? Or only within the smart battery unit (or the connecting cable)?

I haven’t been able to find anything called “smart battery unit” within Toyota parts.. I didn’t see any part numbers in any literature about this.. assuming this smart battery unit needs to be replaced.. is this something that can be replaced by a hybrid battery company? what is a reasonable price for this part and repair?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV