1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p0B83 p0A7f engine dont start and just shifts to nuetral (

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ciro ochoa, Dec 10, 2022.

1. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Wont go into gear , check hybryd system comes up, then when you shift into drive it says shift to park!! , gas engine wont start getting p0b83 and p0a7f, changed out the hv ecu the old one was coroded, I cleared the codes put the used one in and nuthing same as before, are these plug in and thats it? maybe the one I bought on ebay is jacked also, ? learning teckstream , thanks for the help

#1 ciro ochoa, Dec 10, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those are two codes I don't know off the top of my head. I can dig out a (Gen 2??)* manual and look up what they mean, but if you've already done that, you can make it easier for us by including the info in the post. That way it's one person doing it, instead of everyone reading your post who doesn't happen to know those codes offhand.

The "detection condition" is the most important thing to know about a trouble code. It's shown in a box a little way down the (usually) first page for the code.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

* or is your car a Gen 3, since you're posting in the Gen 3 forum? It's also helpful to tell us the year of the car.

My Gen 3 manual is easier to get to.

P0A7F is another battery deterioration code, like P0A80. The difference is, P0A80 is triggered by a voltage difference between battery blocks, but P0A7F is triggered by calculating the internal resistance and charge capacity of the battery blocks, and looking for resistance too high, or capacities too different.

P0B83 is a bogusly-low voltage measured on voltage sense line "O" (letter O, the last of the sense lines A through O). A reading of less than 2.5 V isn't any realistic block voltage, so it usually means one of the sense wires is broken, or the battery smart unit is bad.

The HV ECU is one of the ECUs in the plastic rack behind the glove box (officially, it was called HV ECU or HV control ECU in prior generations, but in Gen 3 it's called the power management control ECU). Is that what you're talking about? Or did you change the battery smart unit, back inside the battery itself?

#2 ChapmanF, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  3. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I changed the battery smart unit

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you get Techstream working, maybe you can show the battery block voltage measurements?

5. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hello, I got it working teckstream, they awere all around 14.2 to 14.5 vollts

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your HV battery is too depleted to turn over the gas engine. You'll need to use a DIY grid charger, or an off the shelf grid charger to recharge it.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd kind of expect P3000-388 or -389 to be one of the codes in that case, no?

8. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i assume balancing is next step? or plug it into the hobbie charger first to those low block? I still dont know wich is #1 ? also the setting for the reconditioning charge discharge ?

Attached Files:

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at that image, 215V should be enough to turn over the ICE. Not sure if 203V would do it.

It appears that you may have a failed 'cell' in one of the modules, is this battery a virgin, or have you been swapping out modules already?
    The next step would be to use techstream to do a "Health Check", what OBD2 codes are you retrieving? (please post them in this thread)

Once you have the codes, use the service manual to find the step by step workup for each code.

You might try using a HV charger ($$$ grid charger or DIY) to top balance the battery, read about the process on the HA site or threads here.

If you've disconnected the 12v battery, and haven't recently cleaned the MAF sensor/throttle body/butterfly valve, now would be the time.

10. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    teckstream code P0B83 and p3004

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This link might be of interest : La documentazione del selidori
    Were there any associated INFs (sub-codes or secondary codes) that you could post for that P3004?

Find the INFs by clicking on the cloud/snowflake to the left of a DTC :

[​IMG]

Find the three (3) digit INF

[​IMG]