1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1116 code resolved

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Markitek, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Markitek

Markitek New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’ve been trying to resolve a P1116 code for months. 2 mechanics and a Toyota Service Dept. And still not resolved. Toyota shop says air is getting into system and I should change head gasket. Due to my Prius being a 2006, they say I should change the engine for $4,000. 2nd mechanic doesn’t see evidence supporting this conclusion. I spend some time looking through forums. One post said they found the hoses coming into the Coolant Flow Control Valve were reversed so we checked this on my car and indeed this happened when first mechanic changed this part. $50 bucks and problem resolved after a crazy investigation process. Check this first and I hope this saves someone from my experience.

Skibob and SFO like this.
  2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds much cheaper than replacing the engine. Who told you you needed a new engine and what did they say when you told them what it was?

3. Markitek

Markitek New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am waiting to hear back from the manager of this Toyota dealership who advised me to change the engine, but not holding my breath.

I had a repair shop tell me many years ago I would need a new engine because of poor compression. I tool it for a second opinion and they found compression fine. You better be 100% sure you are right before telling someone to replace their engine. I worry how many consumers have done so unnecessarily!!

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always good to get a second opinion.