1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1121/P116 and triangle of death after CCV replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Clay Austin, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Clay Austin

Clay Austin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My CEL AND Red Triangle of Death came on Monday evening. After searching this forum, it seemed that the CCV needed replacement (111k miles). Ordered the part and after a few hours of cursing gravity and hose clamps, I got it replaced. I cleared my codes and went to bed. I got up this morning and drove to the store (2 blocks) and all lights and codes have returned.

Ideas on my next steps?

Thanks in advance.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For starters, let us know the specific codes, as well as what kind of device you're reading the codes with? Also when you said you cleared codes, did you do that by disconnecting 12v or using your code reader? If the latter, you might try again after disconnecting the 12v for a few minutes.

3. Clay Austin

Clay Austin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As the title says, P1116 and P1121. I checked them with my scan tool (cheap). I cleared them both with the scanner as well as battery disconnect.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ooops, apologies, was moving too fast... Start reading up on your coolant storage thermos and associated systems. Maybe do some preliminary cleaning and inspecting and do some Google searches for testing methods. The good news is this problem isn't going to disable your vehicle.

5. Clay Austin

Clay Austin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it fine to drive with those codes and the red triangle of death?

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I just posted on another thread: "It's relatively safe to clear the error code and keep driving as long as battery temperature doesn't heat up." That of course doesn't apply to check engine light, which is different than the hybrid system.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If those two codes are the only ones, then yes, I don't think that would be a problem in the short term. The thing is, AFAIK those codes shouldn't trigger a RTOD. I would suggest getting a better scanner (or at least an app like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant with a compatible OBD2 adapter) to check for codes in the hybrid control ecu or HV battery ecu.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.