1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1121 part # for old coolant control valve vs. new

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusyipee, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just replaced the coolant control valve on my 2008 Prius. Bought the car in 2013 - the dealership supposedly billed Toyota for changing the part under warranty before I bought the car. Three years later the engine light pops up intermittently with P1121 as the diagnostic code. Part that was taken out of the car is PA6T/XT-GF35. This differs from the new part number of the replacement valve (16670-210-10).

I am under the impression that the dealership billed Toyota for replacing a part without ever performing the service back in 2013. Any thoughts? If this is the case, and the old valve was in the car, I should get a refund, correct?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In 3 years, anything can happen. Most repairs are guaranteed for 1 year.....because it can break after that

3. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe the part was ever changed. The old part # was the valve that was part of the recall. If it was replaced when I bought the car, why would a part that was known to have a latent defect be installed? My opinion is that the stealership billed for work that was never done.

4. 1SteelerFan

1SteelerFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I changed coolant control valve and coolant on 2005 Prius and chech engine light still on why

5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You didn't reset the CEL or you didn't get the coolant loop filled and bled properly. Or Both.

You can reset the CEL by disconnecting the negative battery cable from the body for a minute or so. If you haven't researched bleeding of the Gen 2 coolant loop, these vids pretty much show you how it's done. It's a tedious pain in the rear compared to most vehicles but not technically difficult.

Engine coolant change DIY video posted | PriusChat

JC91006 and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are multiple reasons for a check engine light, check your codes to see where the problem is.

SM-N900P ?

Raytheeagle likes this.