1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading around on here, it looks like the CEL code I recently got on my 2009 Prius (P1121) is a fairly common occurrence. I got the code pulled at PepBoys, but they said they wouldn't fix it -- they said it was a dealer-only fix. Poking around here it looks like some people got independent garages to do the fix as well? Just wondering if anyone had this fixed at a local garage. Any recommendations for places on the east side of LA/Burbank/Glendale that will fix this without ripping me off?

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what it is? just a code, or is something else broken?

3. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They just gave me the diagnostic trouble code P1121. Reading on here, it sounds like that's an issue with the Coolant Control Valve?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, thank you. i don't see why anyone can't fix that, unless they need tech stream to bleed the system?

5. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought too. Seemed weird. I'll take it to a local mechanic tomorrow morning with the trouble code and see what they say.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you can get the chinese tech stream cheap, from what i've read.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the system is low on coolant it has been known to give this problem. Check the level of fluid in the radiator under the front plastic cover. "not the header tank" The radiator should be full to the top. If not top up with Toyota SLLC (supper long life coolant) nothing else. Then check the engine coolant pump for leakage.
    Look inside the pump pulley for pink powdery deposits. If there the pump is leaking. Any garage should be capable of changing this as it is no different to any normal car, but is difficult to bleed any air out of the system.

John (Britprius)

AltraStache and moosepie774 like this.
  8. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John!

9. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Random question -- every since PepBoys read the code, the CEL has been off. That doesn't mean the issue is gone, does it? Will the light come back on if the problem persists?

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is because the fault is intermittent. The coolant control valve sticks and the coolant acts partly as a lubricant, and is probably why low coolant can cause "not in all instances" the problem. So yes the light could come back. The car can be safely driven with this fault providing it is not because of low coolant. As this could lead to overheating depending on how low the coolant is. So first priority is check the coolant level.

John (Britprius)

AltraStache likes this.
  11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes code and CEL will come back if problem happens again. Coolant Control Valve isn’t critical item in a sense that if it fails even in worst possible position you will only lose most of cabin heat (electric heater is still working). So if code doesn’t come back I wouldn’t do anything since even if it fails you’re not going to be stranded.

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only problem with ignoring the fault is that if another fault appears there is only one warning light so you will not know there is an extra problem.

John (Britprius)

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You read my post wrong. If CEL doesn’t come back on I would do anything. I wouldn’t ignore any warning lights.

Yes OP should also check coolant level like you said since it can also cause this. It should be checked from radiator and not from overflow tank.

Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry yes I miss read your post. One question. Does the Prius in Finland have the PTC heaters? I know the US version does , but the European Prius does not nor do we have the coolant control valve or thermos tank.

John (Britprius)

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PTC heaters yes. And also seat heaters. But no coolant thermos.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks.

John (Britprius)

17. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the coolant level and it looks OK. Just to be clear -- this is the coolant that is half covered under a black plastic cover that runs the length of the very front of the car. The cap is marked "coolant" and it looked pink. It's directly behind the front bumper, sort of on the passenger side.

Anyway, the level looked OK. If the light is off now, should I just wait and see if it comes back on or take it in for service tomorrow? I got slightly confused by the exchange above. Again, thank you for everything.

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are two filler caps close to each other. The one cap is on a container this is the reservoir. The other cap is mounted on top of the radiator closer to the front of the car, and this is the one we are interested in. You must remove the plastic cover to gain access.

John (Britprius)

19. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the one near the front of the car looked ok. Just behind the front grille of the car, more to the passenger side?

The CEL just came back on. Guess I'll have to get the valve replaced after all?

Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  20. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First check the fluid level in the radiator. Remove big plastic peace by removing those plastic clips that have screw head in center. Then open radiator cap (engine has to be cold) Radiator Coolant Leaking a little bit, add black pepper powder? | PriusChat has picture of radiator cap removed. Fluid level should be what it is in that picture or maximum of (abought) one inch below that.

If level in radiator is correct then you need to get that coolant control valve fixed.

If fluid level isn’t correct then fill it back up with Toyota super long life coolant don’t use anything else. If half of quart isn’t enough to fill it back up then you probably need to bleed it (or get it bleed). If it hasn’t been low from when it was last serviced you should find out where its leaking.

#20 valde3, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    AltraStache likes this.