1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1121

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jlundman83, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Jlundman83

Jlundman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here’s a little history. Three months ago I replaced the inverter coolant pump and bled the cooling system and everything was working just fine after that for three months. Two weeks ago we got the check engine light on with the code P1121 coolant control valve failure. We found on forums that this is a common problem with a second GEN Prius, ours being a 2004, commonly one of the valves get stuck. Many forums also state that in most cases this leads to the heater core which simply means you might not get hot air and wasn’t considered an urgent problem. So we let it go for a few weeks… Today I was parked running the AC for about a half hour, made a stop and turned off the car for a few minutes then drove a couple more miles and all of the lights in the instrument panel came on VSC, red triangle of death, check engine, yellow exclamation point and the car with a slash through it on the MFD screen. At this point all we could do was coast, it would not accelerate. We turned off the car after a few minutes, turned it back on, the engine would run but the car would not allow us to go into reverse or drive. Also, the lights, radio, and seemingly all functions were still working properly (with the exception of the AC blowing hot air).We then tried to go into maintenance mode and a second indicator came up on the MFD screen basically indicating that it would not allow us to drive in maintenance mode. I then had the car towed. It was off for about an hour. When I went to turn it on and ran the engine, no lights came on whatsoever. I ran it for about 10 minutes and everything appeared to be fine. Although I did not actually drive it, it did go into drive and reverse with no problems.
    The only codes in the system are p1122 and p3190 (which I’m told is pretty generic)
    So here’s my questions? Could the p1121 code be related to this problem? Any other possibilities? I have replaced the coolant control valve but am hesitant to drive any considerable distance because I’m not sure if I’ve gotten to the root of the problem.
    Thanks all for your help!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like Inverter over-temperature. With your foot off the brake, press the power button twice. The inverter cooling pump should run. Look in the inverter coolant reservoir to see if there is fluid moving.

Have codes read. P0A93 ? is inverter cooling pump failure

Sometimes I need to read better. Is the P3190 current?

I would look more into the 3190 than the 1121.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What state are you in and how many miles on your car?

4. Jlundman83

Jlundman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’ve done some research here on priuschat and that 3190 code could be one of MANY things, some have even suggested inverter overheating so I’m tackling this option first to see if it’s related to the coolant control valve I just replaced. Thanks for your help :)

5. Jlundman83

Jlundman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in Florida and I’m at 165,000 miles
    Thanks for response

6. Jlundman83

Jlundman83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, some have suggested pe haps the 12v battery. I checked it and everything is great with that. Any thoughts anyone?
    Thanks!

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Change the 3 way coolant valve and then see what else you need. That valve only gives you the check engine light, doesn't affect the mechanical operation of the car