1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1151 What if I don't fix this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by johnkordes, Aug 31, 2009.

1. johnkordes

johnkordes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently the check engine light came on due to Trouble Code P1151 Coolant Heat Storage Tank failure.

What will happen if I don't replace the tank at all and continue to drive the car? The tank is only used to store hot coolant for quick heatup of the engine at startups. This is for fuel efficiancly only as far as I know.

How much fuel efficiancy am I actually losing by not replacing the tank?

The tank is very expensive: 700$ plus labor.

Thanks.

2. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Yeah its main purpose was for efficiency, but if the tank is busted and leaking, wouldn't that be a bad thing if you don't fix it?

3. johnkordes

johnkordes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if it's leaking but I will try to watch before I leave a spot next time. I think it just doesn't keep the coolant hot and that's why I got the P1151 code.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically its purpose is to improve emissions (as opposed to fuel economy) so the primary consequence of not fixing this is that the car may not pass inspection in a state that requires it. At least where I have lived they just scan for trouble codes and fail the car if they find any. Otherwise you might take a small FE hit but I don't think it will be that terrible.

If it happened to me, I would want to fix it but I would want to find a way to DIY if possible.

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I agree with you , I am not impressed with the tank, when I did drain it to change out the coolant I thought 12 hours would give me warm coolant which it wasn't.

I think its main purpose is to improve the emissions during the cold starts.

700 dollars would be better placed in some other part of your life to improve overall energy efficiency in my opinion. Someday someone will figure out how to bypass it and keep the DTC from appearing. Anyone know how?

Yes I would check out the system, basically the left side of the front bumper 'cover' needs to be moved to check it out.

web search; which for some reason does not copy here, said air bubbles may cause P1151 and that should first be ruled out .
    See page 2-5 http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid12.pdf Has some interesting info.

Two questions, have you tried clearing the code, does it immediately return, and do you still hear the coolant pump running on shutdown ( note under various conditions it won't run, depending on the different coolant temperatures I believe).

1 person likes this.
  6. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow that's very interesting. I thought the tank was supposed to keep the coolant hot for up to 72 hours. Usbseawolf had a video of him reading the temperature from scanguage and indeed the temp was 70C right at the start of the car, proving that the system worked.

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wonder if your coolant pump has been broken for some time, then? Do you hear any whirring when shutting down or starting up your car?

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, after overnight here in Edmonton in winter the coolant in the tank is only around 20C, and I haven't gotten any DTCs. So it's more complex than just a coolant temp reading to trip that code.

I -thought- I read it watched the coolant temp when the pump starts and would set a code is it didn't change by "x" degrees. But even this can't be right, because after about 2 days in Edmonton winter the tank and engine coolant are the same temp.

I suspect it has more to do with the pump. I don't think I'll be fixing mine when it fails. It does nothing in winter. Except squeal. ;)

9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [quote=drees;947534]I wonder if your coolant pump has been broken for some time, then? Do you hear any whirring when shutting down or starting up your car?[/quote]

I do hear a pump sound on start up/down.

I may have 'misspoken' about the temperature of the coolant. I remember it wasn't hot, and was bracing for the dangerously hot coolant. It was last spring and I just recall it wasn't hot but may have been warm. .

I wonder if I backed up the car out of the garage ( I don't remember where I parked that night ), the system did a quick cycle, which spread out the 'hot' coolant into the engine, absorbing the extra heat so I barely saw the difference when draining the coolant. A possibility.

Back to original topic, concerning replacing the tank, finding a salvage part is another possibility. Here is one on ebay, with a 650 buy it now price (don't do it)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Toyota-Prius-Coolant-Tank-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ190331755577QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c50a81c39&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I am in general biased against the coolant tank, the increased complexity, the lack of protection from road hazards, the cost of repairing it for the low- in my mind- benefits. I drive my car for work around 6 hours a day, that is when I get the fuel economy benefits,doubling gas mileage of previous car.

DaviDino likes this.
  10. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lack of protection from road hazards?

The tank is way on the side of the front of the car. It'll take a collision to even get to it.

I'd be more worried about the AC compressor / radiator. A good sized rock will put a hole through any of those.

11. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    This placement of the coolant storage tank (thermos) is the main reason collision insurance for the Prius is so expensive. It costs about the same as a mid-size SUV. It should be -a lot- less. But in minor accidents the thermos is destroyed and it's expensive to replace. The insurance bureau crash testers have posted that if you extend the -actual- front bumper, the part in the above picture behind the foam, about 12" on each side, it would protect the tank in most minor collisions and insurance would be a lot less.
    Too late now though. It's not in the GIII so no worries there.

PriFi likes this.
  13. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can barely make out any of the hoses in the picture, might be my crappy laptop screen though.

Might I ask what type of road hazards you were referring to? Perhaps your definition differs then mine, since I'm more naive when it comes to driving experience.

When it comes to road hazards, I usually think of rocks and nails, and perhaps some branches, potholes, curbs, etc...

Anyway, I agree that the thermos sucks for what it does. An engine block heater is much better. A bit of hot coolant does barely anything to warm an ice-cold engine that's been exposed to the winter winds. Was more concerned about how it could get damaged, since Its my impression that the only thing that'll damage it would be on the scale of a pretty heavy collision, one that would total the bumper.

14. vgreen

vgreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: P1151

The P1151 code has been coming on and off in my car and last time I used the AC it didn't seem to be working properly (cooled from 90 degrees outside to about 80 in car). Could this be related? Anybody? Thank you.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: P1151

No, DTC P1151 has nothing to do with the air conditioning. It appears your car has at least two unrelated problems.