1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P1211 - coolant flow control valve

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bluebossa4, Jun 21, 2018.

1. bluebossa4

bluebossa4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I had the check engine light the other day. I immediately went to the auto parts store to get the codes pulled. P1211 was the only code.

My check engine light was only on for about 48 hours and less than 10 miles. My coolant has less than 25K miles on it.

Could it be I just need a top off of coolant? Could the valve be failing and hasn’t fully failed yet?

Thanks

2. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It kinda reminds me of a stuck thermostat. You gotta change it. I don’t think the car is able to get to operating temperature. Reduces efficiency, neg effect on emissions. Etc..

4. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What I’ve noticed in seeing a few failed CCV’s is that the internal ball tends to be stopped/stuck in a middle transition position. It still allows coolant flow but instead of being one circuit or the other, you get both at the same time.

You can replace the valve yourself if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and save a few hundred bucks in labor.

However, you will need Special tools to make the job as painless as possible.

You will need coolant hose pinch off pliers, I used the Vise-grip style ones from Harbor Freight. You need 3 of them. Roughly $10 ea. The CCV from Toyota is about $100 as I recall. A jug of Toyota coolant on hand to replenish what ever you lose in the swap process. I think I lost about a cup maybe two.

There is a nice was YouTube video post on the Lucious garage YouTube channel but I don’t find it any more but there are others that pertain to changing the CCV in a Prius gen 2.

iPhone X ?

AltraStache likes this.