1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P2111 code and fail safe mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Remi, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Remi

Remi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just got my rebuilt 2005 prius after an accident. Everything seems to be fine except i'm getting P2111 throtlle body stuck open code and Prius gets into fail safe mode. According to diagnostic manual computer cuts of power to the throttle body motor and i'm stuck at driving at 1mph speed. After turning engine off and waiting for couple of minutes - everything is back to normal for next several miles. Seems like if i'm driving fast - above 42m/h using gas engine - everything is fine. It is happening when my motor switches to battery power and ....
    Anyways - i did the regular clean your throttle body, watch out for MAF sensor, pull back the spring controling the butterfly. No impact - took it ot the dealer - of course they scan P2111 - manual tells them to replace throttle body - $1000. I told them no way. They cannot check anything else like power, resistance and other things i guess. I found some tutorials online - removed throttle body, cleaned up throttle sensor, looked at the gears inside. Looked normal no major damage to the plastic wheel inside. Put it back together - no more check engine light. ...Well it lasted couple of miles... back to square one.

This is what i noticed - i ran rev my car now after starting engine, in parking mode. My car starts fine - throttle body is opening up and down during revving. My issues starts happening after prius switches to battery power and cannot engage throttle. Makes sense that computer prevents battery power to be used when p2111 is showing up ( gas engine doesn't care).

My issue is obvious i guess - something with throttle body - wires, intermitten throttle body motor, bad sensor - how do i diagnose it without replacing the whole thing? Could it be something else?

2. Remi

Remi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My next steps are to check resistance on the harness to the throttle sensor and back.

Throttle Control Motor Connector
    Tester Connection Specified Condition

M– (1) – M+ (2) 0.3 to 100
    W at 20 C (68 F)

CHECK HARNESS AND CONNECTOR
    Standard: (check for open)

Throttle control motor (2) – M+ (E5 –6) Below 1
    W
    Throttle control motor (1) – M– (E5 –5) Below 1
    W

Standard: (check for short)
    Throttle control motor (2) or M+ (E5–6)
    – Body ground
    10 kW or higher
    Throttle control motor (1) or M– (E5–5)
    – Body ground
    10 k W or higher

3. ovenmage

ovenmage New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Remi, I'm running into the same code on my 2005 Prius and was wondering how yours resolved. Thanks!

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmm. The OP made just the two posts 8-1/2 years ago so I don't think you are going to get an answer.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.