1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P2135 After Head Gasket Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SSAutomotive, Dec 15, 2021.

1. SSAutomotive

SSAutomotive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all! Hope things are going well for you guys.

Anyways! I need some help with a 2011 Prius 2 that I've recently done a head gasket/cylinder 1 connecting rod job on. It's throwing a P0108 and a P2135 (as well as a cyl 1 and 3 misfire and cyl 1 A/F ratio imbalance but we need not cover those yet, unless you know something I don't). The P0108 I believe to be a harness issue, however, I'm wondering if the P2135 is not the same thing. I was wondering if there is a way to check voltages/grounding at the pedal, as I doubt this has suddenly gone out, and I do almost 100% believe the P0108 to be a harness issue after referencing another thread with almost the same information. Is there a way I can check the pinouts/pedal TPS? I know the throttle body is good but my TPS B (assuming to be the pedal) reads as stuck around 50% on my reader. Thanks!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounds like you're on the right track using the scan tool to read the live values. To allow error detection, the position sensor produces two outputs, which are not identical voltages, but in an algebraic relationship to each other. If they are not (like if one of them is stuck at a constant value), then you get the P2135.

Don't assume the code has anything to do with the pedal, though. The code pertains to the pair of sensor outputs from the throttle body. (The code's fortune cookie "thottle/pedal position sensor" is generic and about as useless as code fortune cookies usually are. There's no substitute for looking in the manual to see what the code really means.)

You haven't said how you "know the throttle body is good", but this issue could be there or in the wiring to it.

You should find about twelve pages of troubleshooting ideas for the code in the Repair Manual (your post makes it sound like you're a shop, so I assume you have access through one of the services suggested here).

P2135.png

3. SSAutomotive

SSAutomotive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I've taken a thorough lookover of the harness yesterday and it all checks out. I also cleaned the spark plugs and that seemed to help a bit. It still has the same issues, just less severe.
    I believe there may be an issue with an 02 sensor, but I'm not entirely sure and I don't have all day to figure this out. I've been at this thing for over a week. If someone could take a look at the following data and help me out I'd much appreciate it. I'm thinking about just selling this car despite needing it for work. Thank you so much.

Attached Files: