1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P2238 - drive on accel or engine charging is shuttered - shuttering behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chronon, Jun 2, 2020.

1. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    just using the scanguage 2 ,, next up will be my sears code reader, i do have a techstream that runs on windows 32 (not 64) to fall back on if needed.. i also have torque - which is better than techstream on some things, for ex. bringing up all the block voltages real time .

#3 chronon, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might need to pick up a quality bluetooth OBD2 adapter for use with Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant.

Many like to use a "mini-vci cable" with a copy of techstream (dealer tech level diagnostic software), it will require having a windows device that has a USB port. You can also emulate with : Oracle VM VirtualBox

5. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i just typed in 20 codes and their descriptions, the page wanted me to log in then said security error, then i couldnt page back and finally the work is gone!

P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    p2238: A/F Sensor Bank 1 Short Circuit
    craftsman readiness reading , (20 codes!)
    0300 Random Cylinder Misfire Condition
    0171 Air/Fuel Mixture System Lean Bank 1
    0172 System Too Rich Bank 1
    0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit
    0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
    0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
    0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control
    0128 Coolant Thermostat
    0136 HO2S12 Circuit Malfunction
    0137 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
    0138 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
    0325 Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction
    0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
    0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
    0442 EVAP System Small Leak Detected
    0446 EVAP System Vent Control Circuit
    0451 EVAP System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance
    0455 EVAP System Gross Leak Detected
    0456 EVAP Control System Leak Detected Very Small Leak
    0505 Idle Air Control System

how long do u think a battery reset will last ?
    AND , that little 'ev mode over-ride button' installed during the engine replacement is probably a good thing NOT to use anymore --

#5 chronon, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  6. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    so the battery discon , (reset) , gave a good trip test around neighborhood and then about 10 min into a drive it started and the check engine light went on. ..
    this time i tried reseting (clearing codes) .-.. didnt seem to do as much as the hard reset ...
    i noticed the lugging action occurrs when in partial throttle, so during hard throttle it seemed to go away , and eventually the check engine light went away ? then it came back ... its a phinicky mistress ... it seems getting at the a/f ratio sensor is not too bad ..
    but i have so many codes that it seems all 3 sensors may need attention ..

7. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm not sure that torque is going to give me any better error report than the Craftsman scanner did,
    Torque is great for visuals , but I think the scanner actually does a 'deeper dive ' into errors.

I do have the techstream to see if i'm getting bogus or not from the craftsman .. just a pain to get a laptop out there with extension cord !

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would personally use techstream for accurate OBD2 code retrieval, as doing 22 individual workups would be quite a task.

P0000 isn't a valid DTC (which is why the reader being used was thought to be suspect), but DTCs P0303 and P2238 are. The workup for P2238 is above, and here is the workup for P0303 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/Repair%20Manual/04pruisr/05/2054m/cip0300.pdf

Follow the workup for P0303, or you might try swapping the plug and or COP (coil) with another cylinder to see if the misfire follows.

Has it been raining recently?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

How old are the plugs, and have you inspected them recently?

That is quite the collection of OBD2 codes (DTCs) you've posted, do all 20 of them come back after you disconnect the 12v source?

Not sure what was meant by a battery reset, unless you are talking about clearing OBD2 codes (DTCs). If so, DTCs will repost once the conditions for each are met again. Each workup usually has the 'conditions' or 'thresholds' that must be met for specific DTC to post.

Every time you reset or clear the OBD2 codes (DTCs), you will have to wait until the conditions are met to log them once again, it is best to always record or write down the DTCs before clearing or resetting them, that way you have an idea of where the problem may lie.

Running around in EV mode in my mind isn't the best thing for HV battery longevity, though others may feel otherwise.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yes we have had a lot of rain the past several days , the vehicle has over 150k, but the engine @ ~102k was replaced with an '06 motor (in ~2015) with ~60k, so 60+48k is less than 110k supposedly on motor. plugs, ummm... ---- ????? not sure on that ... as there was a about a 2+ year period where the car sat off the road ... I have not inspected plugs recently but sounds like the thing to do. I thought I might have replaced plugs on previous motor, and hopefully had transferred the new plugs to the replacement motor, but my records and memory are not clear with all the time and events happening in the past few years ,(esp recently)..

I need to rescan using the craftsman to see what it brings. Better yet get the techstream hooked up, though I'm not super practiced in using it .

the latest DTC the scanguage is reporting is a 2062, recovery thermal pump error. (not critical , this leads to faster warmup, pulling heat out of the thermos bottle to the head for faster warmup and quicker MPG)

10. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There might be water in the spark plug wells, assuming the 'lurching car behavior stuttering/shuttering' happened after/during the rain event.

11. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will pull the boots tomorrow (dang, that boot pulling tool is never around when u need it ) -- and check the wells -- good thing i resisted spraying down the engine compartment with a hose to clean road debries/dust .. though I had thought of the engine degreaser spray to do the job properly ..

I havent noticed much /any stuttering .. if so it was very limited in today's driving .. perhaps the wetness dried , i mean those wells are pretty well sealed by the boot and coil atop .. the only way i think u could get water in is if u had a leaky boot and/or pressure hose cleaning to get it in ..

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree and was going to post similar.

Using EV is never a good idea except for a few select use cases like, for example, moving the car in or out of the garage, moving it around on the driveway (both when the engine is cold), moving a small distance in a an enclosed parking structure/building, to name a few.

13. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    can we add that , if engine is warm (or almost) and engine running while coming to stop, and ev mode is available, that would stop burning unneeded gas by just regenning to stop , sometimes this happens even when engine is warm, some 'housekeeping' being done by prius engine control ...

14. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I saw a utube where the guy does not use a torque wrench to tighten plugs !!!! ACK !!

This much more thorough video states 40 thousands (has Denso ) on plug gap and 13 ft pounds for plugs and coil bolts ...

#14 chronon, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you're not preventing the car from going to Stage 4, which it will do after 20-25 min of driving. The car needs to come to a stop so it can do its calibration – it only takes 7 - 10 seconds. After it has done this it will always engine off when stationary for the rest of that drive cycle so no need for intervention with the EV button.

chronon likes this.
  16. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_1894a.JPG Loaoks liko samo water got in there .. and some rust of the plug, but the gap is about 40thou and
    the torque was prob around proper (i certainly set it back that way) - ithis is #1 plug? (or the plug with the longest connector)
    I did not pull any others , i would say that water has been in there but has since evaporated ... i should have used air compressor in well before removing plug... not sure how much incidence of isolation ( insulation) is compromised because of rust .. or if plug is still performing properly..
    but it does look nasty ! i know these do cost a pretty penny to replace ..

17. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    techstream pulls p0303 (not marked as current)
    P2238 A/F Sensor Bank 1 Short Circuit

*** Saw a post about invertor pump - In READY, there is turbulence in INV resorvoir.
    Possible Causes
    • Faulty EFI Relay
    • Faulty Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1
    • Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
    • Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
    • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
    P2601

#17 chronon, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  18. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    reset codes , drove around neighborhood 1 mile no problem .. later went for longer drive, didnt even get out of neighborhood and same 2238 is back .... raining wet puddle environment makes this situation worse .

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You sound surprised. If you didn't fix it, of course, it will come back.

I don't know where you got the info in post #17 but:

P2238 Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Pumping Current Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

DTC Detection Condition Trouble Area
    • AF+ is 0.5 V or less for 5 seconds or more
    • A/F sensor admittance: Less than 0.022 1/Ω
    • Open or short in A/F sensor circuit
    • A/F sensor
    • A/F sensor heater
    • EFI M relay
    • A/F sensor heater and relay circuit
    • ECM

Maybe if you work out why the detection condition(s) triggered?

#19 dolj, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    SFO likes this.
  20. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    #20 chronon, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020