1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P261B just came up but still drives

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kobear18, Jul 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    new updates after new water pump. Knocking still happens but often anymore. Every time I turn on the car, I put it on neutral. Let it warm up a lil bit and shift to drive after 2min. This way, it won't knock at all. Night time colder weather driving, the engine can still shake a few times from stop-n-go situation. Its very VERY tiny shakes like it shakes 3 times. Not knocking, more like just shaking. Another thing I do is loosen up the coolant tank cap so there is no pressure in the system, that will eliminate the white smoke as well. There is really NO white smoke at all. I turn on the heat, I still get heat so Im fine with loosen up the coolant tank cap. I still got 4 new ignition coil.

#41 kobear18, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At some point in the future, you will be driving in stealth mode(gas engine not running). The coolant will infiltrate a cylinder or two. The ecu’s will command gas engine start, and the engine will cease to exist intact. You have multiple warning signs of an impending head gasket failure and are choosing to ignore them. Your car is asking to be repaired and you are band-aiding the issues one by one, instead of fixing the actual problem. Hopefully you are not in a dire situation when the head gasket ultimately fails.

Sorry for the overly dramatic wording of the post, but after reading all of the OP comments, they are driving head long into a head gasket failure. Then of course the car will be blamed for the failure instead. Repair, or have the head gasket issue repaired now, before this happens to you. This was the number one piston of my original engine when the head gasket failed.

Attached Files:

ASRDogman and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never say you are sorry for being correct!

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That’s when car is in EV battery only propulsion :cool:

5. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Haha ...thank you ...I know im bad ...all i need is 2 to 3 more years, ill get the tesla model Y ...engine will cease to exist i know haha haha !!!

6. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Is it still running...did you ever find the cause of knocking

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you get the OEM coolant its always pre-mixed.

Anyways, looking for an update - has your engine exploded yet or did you get the head gasget fixed?

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hilarious!