1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P261b OBD code. Coolant pump problem

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IamPrius, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is a magnetically driven water pump, so it is pricier than the belt driven models;).

But at 240+k miles, I'd invest in a new one(y).

amos likes this.
  2. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you got up to 242k miles, without too much issue. Hopefully the code doesn't come back. Obviously keep an eye on your temps in case it does happen to fail which you seem to do. Doubt only a few guys happen to have over 200k miles on theirs this early. How about the other high mileage forums, does anyone else have water pump issues with their Prius from earlier generations?

amos and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I swapped the original water pump out on our old 2010 when it has 180k miles on it;).

When I did, I found resistance in the impeller to turn:cool:.

So when our 2019 Prime gets to around that mileage, guess what I'll be doing:whistle:.

Life favors the prepared and the preventatively maintained (y).

amos and robsnyder20 like this.
  4. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    The Gen2 had a mechanical belt ran water pump whereas Gen3 switched to an electrical one similar to the Gen4. The Gen2 went bad well before 100k miles. The Gen4 is probably similar to the Gen3 which many have gotten more than 100k miles, but it still goes bad. 200k miles sounds likes you got far with it.

amos likes this.