1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P261B water pump or Thermostat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kobear18, May 10, 2021.

1. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi again every1
    After less than a year, another problem just came up. 2 nights ago, my 260K miles 3rd gen prius threw me a P261B code. I thought it was the water pump problem. I actually didn't check and touch the pump and see if it was still running before I ordered a new 1. I got the new one on just now but it didn't seem to solve the problem. I got Torque monitoring the temperature. I step max on the gas and turn on the heat and fan to MAX too. When it reach 177 F, it doesn't deliver fuel to the engine no matter how hard I step on the accelerator. After 180 F the temperature went up quickly to 217F so there I know maybe the thermostat probably didn't open. I didn't wait until the engine light turned on and I just turned off the car fearing it may damage the new water pump too. If the thermostat doesn't open and the water pump is pumping water, it will create huge pressure to the pump and damage it. That is what I think.

Lets talked about what happened last year around June. I got a leak gasket because I got white smoke and engine rattling. I heard there was a easy fix "Bar's Leak HG-1". There are over 2k 4.0 stars reviews on Amazon and some youtube vids showing it works. So I got one and poured half bottle in the 1st time and then another half a few months later. I post my reviews on it here too but I got some serious warnings from fellow members on here. They told me, it will clogged up my water pump and other things. I just ignored those comments last July because it seemed to solve this head gasket problems back then and it still working now. However, it did created another problem. Yesterday I took out the old water pump and opened it up, there is a plastic fiber balls under the magnets of the propeller. I will post pix here. So ya that is the background story.

Now, I think the thermostat may have completely gummed up. Another symptom I notice is that I heard water splash sound every time I stop and go around the stop side. I think it was from the water tank below. It may be half empty due to no flow at all.

What do you guys think? I think I should still replace the thermostat ASAP first ? I can pop that 1 yr old water pump later on.

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like your head gasket has failed. I don't trust Bar Leaks. The Bar Leaks eventually clogged the water pump as you noted.

You need to replace the head gasket. Hope you have not bent a piston rod.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  3. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm...but the code is still coolant system related ... u dont think its thermostat problem for now? I dont see white smoke and no engine rattling like it used to so i assume head gasket is still fine, ya?

4. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your car is living on borrowed time. Bars Leaks is often used by unscrupulous individuals and dealers to hide defects to sell off a defective car. It never last long. If you really want to keep the car, fix it the right way.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  5. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    White smoke is Head Gasket 101! Your on borrowed time with that motor. It's a 3rd Gen and most likely the EGR valve and an oil choked intake manifold and egr valved caused the issue.

It's a ticking time bomb. If you get the bad Head Gasket out of there, clean the EGR valve and intake manifold, you maybe able to still save the motor. If you don't and the head gasket fail's it will suck in water and bend a rod ... and that mean's new motor time.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  6. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    wow damnnnn...sounds very serious now ... I will take the EGR out and deep clean it. I got 4 cans of brakleen ready to blast the EGR and manifold. I will of course check the rods too.

Should I not pour the bar's leak in ? Maybe I should have listen and not pour it in. Daaammmnn....what have i done !!!!

7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At that mileage, the egr cooler would definitely be in bad shape. It needs to be cleaned probably more than the egr valve itself.

8. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes I know where the EGR cooler is. I did clean it before.

You guys don't suspect the thermostat at ALL ? No chance of that failing ?

9. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm well you'd have to drop the oil pan to check the rod's? And that would tell you nothing, as no damage has occurred yet.

The White Smoke is the clue. The only way that can happen is if water get's into the combustion chamber full stop! Bar's leak or whatever may get you home and way work for awhile? But it is not a permanent solution.

If/when the Head gasket completely fails. If it happens at high speed, the engine will suck water into the combustion chamber and the next up stroke of the piston, the motor will try and compress water and it can't! The Rod will bend and your motor is toast.

That's a full rebuild or a new motor at the least? At this point, I would park the car and if your lucky a Head gasket is still all you need. But since you have been driving it, at the minimum you need to lay a straight across the head to make sure it is not wrapped? When you pull it off. And as long as the head is still flat and square you can still get away with a new head gasket.

And if you can't do that? A "Good Machine," can for a nominal charge if anything? But you can't keep driving it like that? The next time you start it could be the last!

This issue is that serious, your not gonna fix it with anything in a bottle, sorry. :(

10. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well sure the thermostat, could have failed but on a Toyota not likely? But if you saw white smoke? The Head Gasket has failed. Nothing else can do that. Blue Smoke is oil burning and white smoke is a failed Head Gasket. It's really that simple.

Heck even a compression test at this point (which could show where the head Gasket has failed) would be unwise.

11. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The white smoke and engine rattling happened last year around June so I poured that Bar's leak in around July last year and white smoke and engine rattling has been fixed. No white smoke and rattling these days. You guys don't think the thermostat has anything to do ? I just think it may have been gummed up by the bar's leak and completely stuck ??

Or you guys still insist on the EGR valve and EGR cooler cleaning first ??

I just checked P0401 is for egr cleaning but mine is P261B

12. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well if that happened last year and around June? That is freaking incredible! But that speaks more to Toyota Engineering in my view. And let more knowledgeable member's speak to codes and stuff I just know engine basics. :)

13. kobear18

kobear18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i kinda wanna get a used engine from Japan for $1200 with 40k to 60k miles on it. This should solve all my problems and make this old car just like a new car without paying a relatively newer used prius like the 3rd gen 2014 prius running for still $11000. $1200 should buy me another 6 to 7 years I hope right ?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can kill a thermostat by overheating it enough. The expanding wax blows out, and after that it won't open when it gets hot. (In fact, that's about the only way I know of to get a thermostat that won't open when hot.) So if there was ever severe overheating at some point, the thermostat should have been checked or changed at that point, lest it become the cause of repeat overheating in the future.

I guess gumming up with the bar's leak might also be a way of killing it.

Yeah, that's the water pump turning too slowly. The leak gunk could be a possible reason, I guess.

15. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most likely sure but swapping out the whole motor over a blown Head gasket is kind of overkill.

As long as the leak hasn't caused additional damage, the motor should be fine, a slow leak in a head gasket won't kill it. But a catastrophic failure of the head gasket could.

A new head gasket, new water pump, inverter pump and thermostat and now you know about maintaining the EGR system, so it doesn't happen again. And a good shop to do the work if you can't do it yourself?