1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is more of a rant...

Little background.... I usually buy a used(fix upper) Prius every year in anticipation of of my dispatch assignment for work, and sell it when my assignment ends so I won't put extra mileage on my personal vehicle..
    So back in March I purchased a fix upper 2010 Prius that have a blown head gasket, and after replaced the head gasket and all the maintenance for it, I then drove this vehicle for couple of hundred miles and decided to change engine oil and drain and refill the coolant again to get whatever may till trapped inside the motor out..

An unfortunate event happened yesterday, during the drain and refill system coolant I somehow left off the spring clamp to return hose from thermostat to radiator and it blew off while I was driving on highway... pulled off to the nearest parking lot off ramp, put everything back together and drove to the nearest parts store for coolant. I wasn't thinking and should not have drove it with coolant loss, and now I have P261B code and engine is over heating... I can hear the water pump ran, but have issue with getting air out of system somehow...

Picking up a new water pump tomorrow, just in case water pump burned up while drove it to auto parts store...

Very frustrated at the moment, it was a perfect running vehicle until radiator hose blew off. A lesson learned...

Always double check your work after completing, NO MATTER WHAT!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 ttou68, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  2. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got the water pump out, and propeller is ceased inside. I tried to pull it out to get a better look at this, and only part of the top came out with a forcefully pull.. LOL

This was a perfectly working pump when I installed weeks ago, just to show what heat and lacking of fluid can do to this thing in short period of time... 20200507_110300.jpeg 20200507_110308.jpeg 20200507_110323.jpeg

#2 ttou68, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you try to spin the impeller:whistle:?

The impeller sits in a magnetic field, so you are trying to overcome the magnetic forces by prying it out;).

It appears there is a small gap between the impeller and the volute in your pics:).

The plastic impeller blades are the weak point in the design:cool:.

But glad you got it out (y).

4. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It won't spin at all, no movement allowed.. it stuck in there like super glue.. LOL

5. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Drove a hilly highway 90% and couple of stops, the temperature average 195° ( constantly) with 199°(up hill) being high and 188°(down hill) low...

One question tho, I checked the hose that below off couple of days ago the one between thermostat and radiator. It feels cool comparing to all other hoses, engine coolant reservoir is pretty warm and all hose to and from are warm, I can touch it with my bare hand so it's not hot, hot..

My question is... is this normal?
    I remember that hose being pretty warm before, I should have checked the thermostat but didn't get to... 20200507_151050.jpeg

6. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Make sure the coolant is up to right level, then drive it around and then burp it and let the air out right after. Do it slow there wont be any coolant shooting out. Do this on several drives to make sure you get all the air out. I read there is another air release port but I havent messed with it and might be only on 2010 models