1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P261c - Recent Aftermarket EWP Failure?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by madmax21, Jun 5, 2023.

1. madmax21

madmax21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All,

Current issue with my 2013 Prius C - overheating orange lights of death ETC ETC with code popping 261c - Coolant Pump "B" Control Circuit Low

Earlier this year I had a long trip at 80mph where when ambient temps got up to the mid 80s I started to experience brief moments of overheating. At 160k I thought my OEM water pump may have been giving up the ghost (no codes).

Replaced with an aftermarket "cheap" Amazon EWP. Past week here in Minnesota has been hot, P261c was popping intermittently (I cleared it with Torque Pro). Nothing out of the ordinary, driving fine, until last night when P261c hard popped (aka it wouldn't clear) and water temps spiked to red flashing light temps.

Limped the car back home on short hops, but not before I checked all fuses, swapped around some relays - no dice. Wiggling the connector below the air cleaner temporarily stopped P261c from popping but then movement stopped 'fixing' the code. Almost pulled a stupid too and started to take off the coolant cap, can confirm by the angry hissing that my coolant system was fully pressurized, the one speck of coolant that hit my arm burned like hell but managed to get the cap back on without attempting to darwin myself.

I'm about 90% certain I just need a new Toyota AISN water pump (will also be replacing my thermostat this time since why not). I know P261c isn't supposed to be a "bad water pump" and that P261b is the "bad water pump" code but all signs point towards the cheap aftermarket pump being hot steamy engine roasting garbage.

Anyone have additional thoughts for me to try?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, if your not blowing the fuse, maybe there's a wiring issue, but it could still be the pump i suppose.
    is the harness connector secure and clean?
    is your 12v okay under load?

watch

3. SSAutomotive

SSAutomotive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, my additional thoughts, as someone who is in the industry, NEVER buy cheap parts, EVER. The Chinese ones are JUNK. I mean JUNK. Fail rates on those are not worth warping a head or cracking it in your case or having a no start, whatever. Over 60% of cheap Chinese parts (many times requested by a customer or even provided) failed within 6 months or less. That's enough for me to say no, no more. Auto parts stores apart from Napa I avoid like the plague unless for fluids or something extremely simple.

Replace thermostat, replace pump, and please never just ignore and clear the code. It's there for a reason and I'd be surprised if you weren't on the threshhold of cooking an engine to it's demise. Gates is good, Aisin, Denso. Just stick with quality, trust me I've been through it. Good luck.