1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000-123, P3004-131,P3107, P3030, P3009 - where to start

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ikefor, Jul 16, 2015.

1. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The vehicle in question is gen 1 (2002) Prius. Anyways, i was called in after a bad mechanic work which saw brake lines bled manually and a HV ECU changed after the car would not start eventually. Upon arriving, i requested to have the old HV ECU reinstated, and ran a scan with techstream, which threw a bunch of codes as well as a HV ECU Malfunction, the ABS, red triangle, battery warning light were all on, i went ahead and hooked up the new HV ECU. I read here about reprogramming immobilizer after HV ECU change and i followed the process.

Afterwards, i ran techstream again, this time there was not HV ECU malfunction, but all the lights remained.
    I cleared the codes and they all were back, i removed the lead from the 12v battery for 1 minute and rescanned

The codes i got this time were

Hybrid Control
    --P3000-123
    --P3004-131

HV Battery
    --P3009
    --P3107
    --P3030

Also when i turn the key to IGON, the ready light turns on for a second and then goes off, then the turtle indicator comes on.
    When i checked the battery voltages on techstream, 9 of the blocks were reading 0.00Volts, 6 blocks below 3 volts, 2 below 7 volts - i had never seen this before....
    Also, i tried to run an active test by changing the cooling fan speed and nothing happened

Could this be the system main relay or/and a battery ECU malfunction, or could it be that the HV ECU is not working or has not been registered properly, or could it be a dead HV battery.

I want to help but wish i could just know where to start, and was hoping that some of the experts in this forum can point me into the right direction here...

Attached Files:

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I assume you have the car where you can work on it.

Check orange safety plug; check connectors to traction battery. retest.

Pull traction battery and inspect.

Bob Wilson

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, let's start by not totally ignoring what the computers are telling you.

The battery ECU is telling you nine modules have zero volts, six are under three volts, and two are under seven volts. What are the possible reasons it would tell you that?
    • It could be the truth. If your battery has nine zero-volt modules and six three-volt modules, it's time to buy a battery.
    • The readings could be wrong because of broken wires in the voltage sense harness from the module terminals to the battery ECU. Have you looked up your codes on techinfo yet? Do any of those refer to 'voltage detective line snapped'? (My manuals aren't right here and I haven't got the codes memorized, sorry...)
    • The readings could be wrong because the magic smoke has escaped from the battery ECU itself, at least the part of the circuitry that measures those voltages.
    As that wiring harness and the battery ECU are both inside the battery case, we kind of know where you'll be looking next, and as soon as you do, you'll know which of those three problems you have. The one in the middle would be cheapest (assuming you find nothing else wrong) as you can get the replacement harnesses (actually a full restoration kit with all the internal wiring, plastics, etc.) for around $120 from the dealer if I recall correctly.

-Chap

Patrick Wong and bwilson4web like this.
  4. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well Bob, The car is at the mechanics workshop, i performed the tests there and I'm quite ok with it. The mechanic has no clue what the issue is and has no idea of Hybrids so he is actually glad that I come to help out.

I removed the HV battery for visual inspection. The battery had some traces of leakages on it, i measured the voltage across some of the modules and it correlated with what i had gotten from the Techstream -0.00 volts, 0.19 volts etc. i didn't do any other form of testing and installed the battery right back

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the way i see this, I think that we are dealing with two issues here
    1. The cause of the battery drain which i gathered could be
    a. driving without fuel
    b. incessant starting with failed component...in this case, the HV ECU
    c. ready car with gear shifted to neutral
    d. inverter failure

2. A failed HV battery pack

Can someone assist with a way for me to test for inverter failure, just want to rule that out of the way for now.

Attached Files:

#4 ikefor, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think it is possible to test for inverter failure until you have replaced the traction battery so that you can see what new DTC are logged. Given the DTC list in your OP, there is no particular reason to think that an inverter failure is the root cause. P3125 is usually logged if the inverter has failed.

P3004-131 usually means that the orange traction battery interlock switch is not correctly installed. So make sure that the switch is correctly installed. You need to pivot the lever 90 degrees, then slide the lever to lock it in place.

6. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roy from Canada here --

The battery has current leaks to ground P3009 and a at least one broken detective wire P3030. Multiple tries to start the car along with the battery leaks has drained the modules so their voltages are down and car will never start because of low voltage from the high voltage battery.

Remove the high voltage battery and replace it with a good used one that is complete with all cabling and the car will start and run. Charge up the low voltage battery with a charger (it is normally charged by the high voltage battery}.

t

7. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks everyone for your inputs, it all comes down to the high voltage battery. I cannot lay my hands on any gen 1 battery packs out here and i would not rightly recommend that too to my friend simply because of the remaining usable live from such a battery pack.

I have read here about folks here using all 38 gen 2 modules to rebuild a gen 1 battery pack and that will be my recommendation in this case. The issue is that i don't have enough gen 2 modules but have quite a bit of 07 toyota camry hybrid (TCH) battery modules. Can i mix modules from gen 2 pri and TCH in rebuilding the pack, or can i simply use all 38 TCH modules - done some research but not gotten any definite solution to these questions, was hoping someone can provide some answers? I will do a further inspection of the cabling, may have to order a new set of cabling.

@patrick, will check that the orange battery interlock switch is properly fitted and get back on that...Thanks!

#7 ikefor, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Put the modules side-by-side and see if they have the same dimensions. If so, use 'em. But to do that, you'll need to do the following:
    1. Individually get the modules up to 6.0-8.0 V, the same voltage
    2. Balance charge in parallel, all 38 modules
      1. Raise the parallel voltage at least 0.1 to somewhere in the 7.2-8.0 V.
    3. Test the wiring harness
    4. Assemble battery
      1. Carefully check the metal housing to avoid shorts
    Bob Wilson

9. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Bob, the modules are the same in dimensions and voltage - 7.2 nominal voltage, but i'm not sure about the internal resistance. From your post, i understand no 1, which i can accomplish with Hitec X4 chargers in 3 chg>dchg cycles with the setting from this forum, but i don't quite understand no 2. Do i have to charge the modules again when they are all connected in parallel, what settings do i use on the X4.

Also i read here that when the module reaches an acceptable charge level (6000mAh), you then do a find chg>dchg cycle at 4500mAh, is this the standard practice?

When checking the metal housing for shorts, what exactly should i be looking for?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem is that one or modules is leaking electrolyte, which means that voltage is being conducted from the module terminal to the sheet metal battery case. That causes P3009 which tells you there is a ground fault.

If you replace the 38 modules with all Toyota Camry Hybrid modules in good condition, then just clean the battery case using a vinegar/water solution which is a mild acidic solution, to neutralize the alkaline electrolyte. Then rinse off with water and dry thoroughly before reassembling the components on the case.

You should replace the orange traction battery busbars with new components if the copper busbars are corroded or the voltage sense wires are damaged (indicated by P3030).

11. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Patrick, I got it!

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are two goals:
    • Equal capacity modules - measured on the discharge cycle. Any running less than 2.5 Ahr should be recycled.
    • Equal state of charge on assembly - accomplished by the final parallel charge.
    By the time all modules have been surveyed, the first ones will have self-discharged to various lower voltages. This is normal but leaves the modules at different states of charge. The self-discharge starts fast and levels out. So the final, parallel charge brings all of the modules up to the same charge state or as close as can be achieved.

As for the setting, in parallel the 38 modules can take pretty much all the current available. Just let them settle down for 2-3 hours wired in parallel before starting the charge. When under charge, check the module temperatures and look for any that are running hotter than the others. These may have passed the initial screening only to be too weak for sustained operation.

Bob Wilson

#12 bwilson4web, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yipes! You meant Ahr, right? Or you've just got really high standards for battery modules? :)

... or I missed the news about that 53-fold capacity increase since the Gen 1 ....

-Chap

rbdigital and bwilson4web like this.
  14. ikefor

ikefor Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bob, just a question,what is the difference between performing a final parallel charge to achieve an equal state of charge (when the modules are connected in parallel) and performing a final charge cycle at 4.5Ah after each module has reached an acceptable charge level before connecting in parallel. Do these two processes basically try to achieve the same thing?

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your car, try it. If there is a problem, pull it and fix it. Your Techstream will let you see what happened.

Bob Wilson