1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000 after hybrid blade replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mpdcnva, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Mpdcnva

Mpdcnva Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We had our silver gen2 299,000 miles; throw the Christmas tree light show with a replace hybrid battery code. Techstream showed me a couple odd voltages but no usual real dead blade. Since we have 20 blades sitting around I gave her a refresh. Put the pack back in the car, and the voltage meter went from 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Engine started and test drive revealed a very unstable battery. Would not throw a code but if you punched the accelerator, it went 654321, that quick. Voltages looked good on techstream, however I took it home and pulled the pack again. The last code to pop up was a p3000. I refreshed the battery again, used different blades in place of the original refresh. Dropped it back in the car and it refused to start. P3000 with a sub code 123. Reset did nothing but bring back P3000 quick. Swapped the battery computer and more codes came up. Also a strange high pitch noise from somewhere. Car refused to charge the 12 volt as well. Come to find out, the hybrid battery wiring harness had shorts, breaks somewhere in the 14 angel-hair wires? Swapped the harness and she’s back up running. Stable battery voltages. SOC during test drive was 54 to 57 with AC on. Hope this helps someone else with a strange mystery no run issue.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If P3000 comes back check inside the battery ECU for corrosion on the pins, that's a common failure point that's from same corrosion issue in the "the 14 angel-hair wires."

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. Mpdcnva

Mpdcnva Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes. Had that on our white one. No corrosion on this one, just one or more of the fine wires gave out. Still amazing this old beast is kicking 56.1 mpg. It will drop to 52 by the end of the tank. Injectors bring these cars back to mileage life.

Attached Files:

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Mpdcnva

Mpdcnva Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    54.4. All highway 65 to 70

Attached Files:

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The full tank average of 52 MPG (4.5 L/100 km) is a worthwhile metric.

56.1 over 26 miles means very little as does 54.4 over 63 miles. The second being all higher speeds on the highway does give you the feel-good factor though.

By way of comparison, I can get 3.7 L/100 km over 23 km (64 MPG (US) over 14 miles) if I fill up with the car warmed up and drive a flat city route. It doesn't make any change to my longterm average over some 57,000+ km (35,000+ mi) of 4.6 L/100 km (51 MPG) though. I do commend you for stating the distance and type of driving rather than just isolated MPG figures. It is very helpful to evaluate the quoted MPG data points.

Your overall point of improvement after the injectors were changed is tangible and noted.

Meg&Bear likes this.