1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3000 code, help assessing the issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Babingus_Wobbington, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Babingus_Wobbington

Babingus_Wobbington New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

09 prius, 180k miles

My car sat for about 9 days recently, when I came back the battery was dead. This is typical when I leave the car sitting for a week ish, and it does even quicker when it’s really cold. Pretty sure there’s some type of phantom drain on the 12v. The 12v is new replaced a few months ago.

the car sat 9 days and I jumped it with a remote started I always have on hand. It turned on and after about 30 seconds red triangle came on. Read the code with Dr Prius and P3000 came up. I was unsure what to do. I figured it had something to do with the car having been dead, and I think I read on here before about you being able to clear it and keep going, so I did that. That was two days ago. Since then drove around 6-700 miles and today when I was coming to a stop at a red light, the code came on again. Again I cleared it and now I’ll see how long it lasts for again. But any ideas what’s going on?

Car is burning oil pretty good but I stay on top of that. Getting around 38mpg and it’s winter in NY. Any one have any idea what’s going on based on this description? Attached is a screenshot I just took of Dr Prius. I got another 1k miles to drive in the next week or so, hopefully I can reset it again if that happens again.

Attached Files:

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dr Prius is a useful little widget for viewing battery block voltages. It can read SOME hybrid system codes. P3000 is the hybrid control ecu saying "hey the HV battery ecu says that it's got a problem, you should go over there and ask it what's going on".

Dr Prius apparently can't read whatever code is in the battery ecu.
    I suggest you get a more capable scantool and check all systems for codes.

Here's a thread that reviews several apps and devices.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.