1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p3000, p0a80, fails to start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Mr.Electric, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was playing with an 08' Prius today. I was given a chance to try some things before it got towed off to the dealer. I found p3000 and p0a80. The car was also failing to start. P0a80 says replace hv battery - case closed it needs a new pack right?
    I tried something and I can't believe it worked.
    I unplugged the mass airflow sensor. The car started and stayed running with an uneven idle while it charged the battery. I proceeded to perform a basic repair. Cleared all codes. It is running fine now , dealer service appointment was cancelled.
    After talking to the owner I know what happened to cause the whole scenario. I'll keep it a secret to see if anyone can guess the chain of events. Hint, there was not a crash involved or any crazy swapped wires this is just a logical chain of events.

2. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    too much oil?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    owner ran out of gas and kept driving?

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not going to guess on this one, but am interested to see what the cause was, also what resolutions were taken place.

If I had to guess, I would say oil being overfilled, but that has already been said.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also waiting with baited breath :LOL:

6. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Too much oil fouled the mass air flow sensor, then repeated attempt to start the car over discharged the hv pack causing the p0a80. If you unplug the MAF the car runs roughly without it. After it ran for a few minutes and got 2 bars on the HV pack I turned it off and removed the MAF sensor, cleaned it, drained the extra quart of oil and cleared the codes. Test drove the car, no codes or issues appeared.

telmo744 likes this.
  7. Log home

Log home New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. Log home

Log home New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a question for Mr electric (or anyone): I have a 2008 prius , 170,000 miles- error codes POA8O, P3OOO, VO8, and V12 according to Toyota. They did the hybrid water pump recall. I brought it to them because triangle light and check engine light on. I took out hybrid battery- checked all 28 cell voltages and it looked good-(1 at 7.78, 8 at 7.79, 6 at 7.8, 10 at 7.81, 3 at 7.82v). There is no corrosion on terminals ,just a gray film on the negative terminal area behind nuts. I live off road. The hybrid fan was packed full of dirt-blew it clean along with the whole trunk area. Could that be my only problem?
    Can I just replace the hybrid battery, clear codes and save myself a lot of money? Thanks

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So your saying there was so much oil it shot through the pcv valve and out the tiny hole in the throttle body and went the other way towards the air cleaner and got the maf wet with oil? Wow.
    Hope you cleaned the throttle body too 'cause that's alot of oil. I would imagine the plugs wouldn't enjoy that either.
    And the air cleaner has to be soaked too.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given that the battery fan was so clogged how distended or swollen do the battery packs look. They would overheat and swell up with no cooling fan. Check them carefully.

11. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No expert here, but if the battery pack is still out of the car, I would suggest you take the time to balance the pack. Also check the resistance of the modules and cells. It is pretty clear that the voltage's you show is helping to contribute to the battery being out of balance which will throw the P0A80 and the P3000.

I base the above on many post's here on PC that discuss the issue.

There is a lot of info here on PC concerning the balancing of the traction battery. It is part of the rebuild process whenever the codes appear that those who have successfully rebuilt their batteries have done and documented.

Traction battery rebuild question | PriusChat
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

Britprius likes this.
  12. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with Ron. Perhaps a bit of module balancing is all that is required, given that the spread of cell voltages is really not all that large. Of more interest is the spread in module internal resistances. You might also consider shuffling the modules so that those which were in the center are now moved to the outside, and vice versa, as the inner modules take the most heat damage by way of electrolyte loss.

Britprius and dorunron like this.
  13. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The conditions that set "p0a80 replace HV battery" code are secret. The Toyota repair manual describes the conditions for setting that code as intellectual property of Toyota. I found that info here on Prius Chat while researching the codes I pulled from this car.
    I would guess if you have a bunch of weak cell modules and code p0a80 and a high miles on your car you probably really do need a new HV battery.
    I have heard that trying to start a Prius too many times with a fault on the engine side will deplete the HV battery too far and ruin it. I got lucky today and got a car that was deeply discharged enough to set p0a80 but still had enough power to crank the engine over at least one more time.

I don't know where the oil comes from to foul the maf but it is a common occurrence. I assumed it goes past the rings into the cylinder and through the intake valve but I really don't know As usual working on Prius creates more questions than answers.

14. Log home

Log home New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, good idea. Cells look good with no swelling and all wires seem to be in the right spot. After reading ryousideways chat from April, he states that all cells need to be within 05 hundredths of a volt after balancing. Mine are within 04 now. He recommends temporarily wiring them in parallel to do a final equalize for 6-24 hrs. and then back to series before install. I can do this with my limited electrical knowledge. Is this a viable way to go? It seems after reading various chatters posts about tear down, re-balance with charge/discharge cycles and rebuild, many can of worms could be opened. I see the need though if the cells were abnormally high or low indicating problems.
    Also Toyota said 2 of 8 cells indicated failure. Were they just blowing smoke since there are 28 cells? Also what does the codes VO8 and V12 indicate? They said said my regular battery should also be replaced. It was replaced 2 months ago, but I replaced it again anyway (free). After all this I still think it was just my clogged fan.

15. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just in case this does not work you should know batteries will be available for less than dealer cost from Doorman soon. If you can remove and rebalance your current pack you would certainly be capable of installing a rebuilt pack.
    My experience with lithium batteries is that mix and match of used cells from different sources never works for very long no matter how accurate the initial balance.
    Not trying to discourage you just saying you should find your local auto parts store that carries Doorman products and see if they will have gen 2 packs just in case your current course of action is not successful.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Prius modules (6 cell packs) are not lithium, and respond well to re balancing done with care. The origin of Doorman's new acquisition.

John (Britprius)

usnavystgc likes this.
  17. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know reinvolt balanced and rebuilt but I assumed doorman would use new cells. Interesting. Does anyone know if Doorman is using new or used cells for certain?

18. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bro, it appears to me your pack is fine. One thing you will notice on this site is that a lot of people take a severely conservative approach with things and they like to warn people unnecessarily and scare people. Yer pack reads good on all modules. There is a ton of stuff you can do to it to, check, balance, etc but really you're balanced. Put the battery back in and enjoy the ride.

Phil

Britprius likes this.
  19. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I recently discovered the "maintenance" mode that will enable us to start the engine and keep it running. Would this be useful for doing an equalize charge? That's something that 48 volt telephone battery plants periodically received, whereby the battery was charged to 54 volts or so to balance the individual (2.25 volt in this case) cells that make up the battery assembly. These were very large cells weighing 50 to 100 pounds per cell and were traditional lead-acid wet cells, not nickel metal hydride like Prius.

20. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, its not useful for that. For one thing, the modules are wired in series. This severely limits any equilization charging or discharging can do. Toyota doesn't mind because they limit the charge to 80% which allows them to account for or ignore differences in internal resistance (or balance) that may arise over time. Even in maintenance mode with the engine running all the time, the software will not allow for a charge greater than 80%.