1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3009 HV leak detected with no other codes. Is this the end of the road?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by KarenA, Oct 31, 2018.

1. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The version of that I have is titled "SSC 40G Details.pdf" - it was Toyota Special Service Campaign 40G. I think I got it from the "Prius Technical Stuff" Yahoo group, which might still exist.

I got the 53 inch-pound figure from the factory manual. That's what I used when reassembling my traction pack recently. :( I didn't go back and look at the 40G PDF, which does indeed specify the 48 inch-pound figure.

I wanted to edit my writeup above to reflect that, but I can't anymore. If you can do it, please do.

Counterpoint 1: That's what the orange plastic things (officially, busbar modules) are for... the "well" in each one contains the two terminals that are supposed to be connected. Counterpoint 2: Since the 1950s, we've been using normal, uninsulated wrenches to swap out the 12 volt starter batteries on cars, and those mothers can dump 800 amps into your wrench. As long as you remember to undo the body-connected terminal first and redo it last, everything is awesome. Countercounterpoint: On a typical starter battery, the terminals are 8 inches or so apart, not an inch or so apart like on Prius modules.

It is exactly in the middle, I'm pretty sure.

The difficulty there is that you actually need to remove the busbar from the orange plastic thing, while the rest of the busbars are still bolted down to their modules. (Taking out the nuts helps, but the busbar can still contact the module terminals, even with the nuts removed.) It's entirely possible to do that, but I wonder a little bit about the logistics of prying on the tabs on the orange plastic thing with pliers or a screwdriver to get that busbar loose, while it's still in the middle of a 150 volt battery.

I'm not saying I don't sweat working inside the traction pack. When I've got my hand on a wrench that goes to those module terminals, even if the wrench is insulated in some way, I've got the other hand behind my back (it feels silly, but it works), and I try hard not to lean on any part of the car with my elbow or anything. I also try to do it when there's somebody around that would hear me hollering, or miss me if I don't show up after a while.

120 years ago, we had to learn to put out the cigar before working on the carburetor or fuel tank, too. :)

"Don't be fearful, be careful." "Trust yourself, it's the only way to fly!"

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my HS shop class (and that was almost 50 years ago!) we learned "If you want to talk, then talk; if you want to work, then work." Concentration when working on explosive stuff or heavy electrical is imperative. I used to be a stagehand, working with up to 440v. We lost an apprentice to electrocution.

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Electricians gloves aren't expensive, btw.