1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3015 error but no P0A80 after module replacement.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Overworked9000, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have replaced 4 modules on the tail end of my gen 2 pack. Originally I had a P3012,P3014,P3015 and P0A80 error code. Now I only have a P3015 code. All of them read 7.6 V or higher. The balance is close with all 7.6X V, but not exact.

Could the cells not being exactly balanced be the reason for this code? I only have 2 chargers, and I'd rather not spend a week just cycling my modules to balance them.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you let the battery sit for a week, you'll be able to identify the bad module in block 5. It's self discharge speed will be much faster than the good modules. Voltage readings doesn't have much meaning to these modules.

3. Overworked9000

Overworked9000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hmm. I tempted to just replace both at this point rather than wait a week.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well you can replace both and let the 2 sit. The bad one will start discharging at a high rate.

You would then have to balance your entire pack or it'll surely fail again because of all the modules you've changed

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's important to find the weak ones as they will pull the good ones down to their level.
    On discharge = weak cell does no work leaving it to the others.
    On charge = weak cell either can't take a charge or gets hot "a short", in either case the better cells take a beating as the system keeps charging trying to attain desired total voltage in spite of a dead horse in the yoke.
    In the case of a short voltage on that one cell is attained quickly making the total charge voltage low so the good ones never get a full charge as the shorted one steals the current overheating all cells nearby.

To properly rebuild a battery is very "very" time consuming without many chargers and a good supply of cells to pick from to match with.

Doing it the way you're doing it you may squeeze another 20k out of it but if done properly you may get over a 100k.