1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3020 code after HV battery replacement just last month

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Artemis222, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Artemis222

Artemis222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all,
    2007 prius, 97k miles. Just replaced the hybrid battery last month after getting the dreaded P0A80 code. Today the Master warning light, VSC, ABS and Check engine light all came back, along with a P3020 code. The mechanic is mildly mystified. Please help.

I bought this to replace a same year/model prius with 245k miles that never gave me a problem...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what battery did he put in?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Artemis222

Artemis222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He said it was an genuine Toyota replacement battery. Came with a warranty. And I've used this mechanic for a long time so I trust them not to cut corners.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks like you need him to follow up on the warranty

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As mentioned...warranty time.

P3020=Block 10 becomes weak. That pretty much says it all. It would be interesting if you could get the serial number off the 'new' battery case or the serial number off one of the modules. We could tell you immediately if it's a 'new' OEM battery or not.....how much did it cost for the battery job?

6. Artemis222

Artemis222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Battery job was just over $2k

7. Artemis222

Artemis222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE:
    Spoke with mechanic- he thinks it might be a computer problem, says his diagnostic tools are limited when it comes to the hybrid system and wants to take it to the local Toyota for their diagnosis.
    I agree with you all, I think it might just be a bad battery... I don't have a way to get the serial number though.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sure you do. Lay the rear seats down. Remove the two chrome D ring hold down tabs that are in the front corners (10mm bolt head). Remove the storage compartment cover and the big black plastic storage compartment. You'll see the side of the HV battery exposed, but won't be able to see the top because the floor cover is still on top of it. Firmly lift the edge of the cover to pop it loose and lift it up enough to take a photo of the case sticker. It's held in place by three or four plastic 'fasteners' underneath that will pop right out and then pop right back in again when you lay the cover back down and press down on it. You may not even need to remove the D rings to lift that cover enough to look at the battery case.

Sean2005Gen2CA likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's two photos to show an original HV battery and where the sticker is located (right side of case top). The second photo is an OEM Replacement HV battery. Notice it has a lot more stickers on the top of the case.

HV Battery OEM.JPG

HV Battery OEM Replacement.JPG

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might as well let the dealer scan it, that's the only way to get warranty. hopefully, it's the dealer he bought the battery from

11. Artemis222

Artemis222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TMR-JWAP Thanks for the instructions (and the pictures!) I'll be sure to check it out next time I have the car. It's currently *at* the mechanic which is more what I meant.

It is the same dealer he bought it from, thankfully.

bisco likes this.
  12. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The factory replacement batteries also have one of those big stickers on the back of the case that the original batteries do not. Remove the big black plastic tray under the rear deck and that sticker should be staring back at you surrounded by shiny new metal.