1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3120 after replacing I.C.E. gas engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by WadeLovell, May 14, 2017.

1. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just replaced the I.C.E. in my Gen 1 Prius with one from a wrecked donor with <60,000 miles vs. 250,000 on my original engine. I admit, it took me a few months to find the right donor so my Prius has been sitting for awhile.

What are the possible causes for it throwing JUST the P3120 DTC? No other codes are present. Obviously, the transaxle was fine when I pulled the old engine. So I've messed something up along the way, but what?

I carefully rotated the crankshaft while bolting the engine and transaxle together to be certain there wasn't any binding during assembly.

The code is being thrown when I turn the key to 'Start'. The HV is at about 25%. The 12v is a fully charged Optima. The dash lights and screen look normal when the key is only turned to the 'On' position.

To me, it sounds like the MG1 is preparing to crank the gas engine then it throws the code.The gas engine never turns or attempts to start.

#1 WadeLovell, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would grid charge the battery and put the 12V on a smart charger and make sure they are both at full SOC.

Next I would follow this test procedure to verify the tranny's electrical condition.
    2003 With P3120 Transaxle Code | PriusChat

Let us know how you make out on this.

3. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I will look up how to grid charge the HV battery. What is reasonable to pay the dealer to charge the HV batterys?

The 12v is and has been on a high quality charger with full charge and trickle functions.

I discovered I'd replaced one of the three phase connection bolts at the back of the inverter ("U" line as I recall) with a stainless steel bolt. Stainless has about 3% of the conductivity of copper. I ordered a replacement bolt at the dealer when I went in to ask about having the HV battery charged there.

Stay tuned and I'll update the thread as things progress.

Wade

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't get grid charging service at a dealer. Their charger (once they get it in) will only charge in the 40-80% SoC range.

5. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be paying a dealer to grid charge (if they would even do it for you), do it yourself.

ProlongĀ® Value Reconditioning Package &ndash; Hybrid Automotive

That stainless bolt could definitely cause an issue, make sure to use only stock stuff on the inverter internals......ECU measures voltages and may easily throw a code like that if it sees a difference.