1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190 after running rich

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DAVID 4, Jun 8, 2023.

1. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But I replace PCV valve and befor replacing there were no oil there.
    Could be that newer PCV valves are bit faulty? My prii is 2010.

2. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Intake manifold off, seems all those little hoses have stayed clean. But notice one mistake, forget to connect one grounding.
    upload_2023-6-18_16-45-31.jpeg
    But that was off for last 2000km... :confused:

Take out spark plugs, could this be the problem?
    upload_2023-6-18_16-46-47.jpeg

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s “normal” for the PCV to contribute oil/water/gas to the intake, with everything functional. And you have to wonder how much just passes through…

not saying it’s good, just how it is. OCC helps.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What kind of plugs are those? I don't see an obvious flaw in the photo, but it is difficult to tell what brand, type, heat range, or gap status with just a single photo like that.

There are many bad counterfeits coming from Amazon and eBay lately.

Use real Denso plugs and buy them from a trusted local distributor for best results.

5. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plugs are NGK ILKAR 7B11, just clean them in sonic cleaner using gasoline.
    Thikn might buy new one, just ro roll that out.

Keep getting distinctive smell of gas, EGR, intake manifold. Letting plugs out ower night, could be that there is to much gas in combustion chainber, that prevent ignition.

Attached is freete frame, if anyoune can smell anything fishy.

Attached Files:

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you smell fuel that's good... need spark and air. Is the throttle body working correctly? Not stuck closed or anything?

Looks like Denso has several distributors in Ljubljana, not sure how far that is for you. I would avoid online orders, too easy to get junk when it comes to spark plugs.

7. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a way to test throttle body? It is closed, as I think shoud be when car si off.

Spark plugs that I have are for Prius Plus (_W4_) (2011 - ...), so puting in the right one is ok.
    Ljubljana is bit to far, but got local offices form denso distributer, so should be ok.

8. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a basic resistance test for the throttle body, I doubt it gives the whole picture though.

Keep in mind that your car probably isn't starting for ten seconds. As I only recently learned myself, the car uses the HV battery and the MG to start the engine and it tries that for about 10-15 seconds, of which it feels like the engine is running. After a few attempts of this you'll need to charge the HV battery in order to get more proper start attempts and not deplete the battery too much. You should also keep a charger on the 12V while diagnosing as well.

Those spark plugs look OK, especially if they have a lot of miles on them. Personally though I would check for spark at this point. I'd also put gas in there just to get that out of the picture (even though you smell gas so that's probably not it).

With the missing exhaust gasket and the missed ground I'd think it may be something like a loose connection, missing gasket, or pinched wire.

Attached Files:

Brian1954 likes this.
  9. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ I agree with Eddie25.

Your engine is trying to start, but it does not start. You need fuel, air, compression, and spark to start. So, revisit everything that you worked on since the last time you drove the car on the road. It could be as simple as a vacuum hose that was not connected.

What is the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery level shown on your screen?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for support!

Big battery is almost depleted, one bar left, think bluedriver showed 17%. My 12V battery is regulary connected to charger. Hope I have one or two attempt left, not sure until I try it, so will do my best to finde solution. Have order charger for hybrid battery, delivery will take week or two.

Will get new denso spark plugs Tomorrow, and day after new crank- and cam- shaft position sensors. I almost dream abouth hoses and connectors. :sleep: Was hoping at beginning to be sometihn that easy. Kinda envy those that forget to put back PCV hose. :sneaky:

To get back what happened. I had P0171 System Too Lean and after exclude vacuum leak (I did smoke test and smoked whole cigar :cool:, presure is fine, for sure) and install new gas pump, I got tank full of gas + stp injektor cleaner, drive that way abouth 50km, no change. Then I change o2 sensor (denso), reset ECU by disconnecting 12V battery (to put fuel trims back to start) and P3190 was here! :LOL:

Than I check once again O2 sensor and finde that exhaust maniflod was not screwed tight, so that explaing P0171. Tighten manifold, connected all back again, no change P3190 still here. :ROFLMAO: After that I put old O2 sensor back and try new MAF sensor, but P3190 remain. No need to mention cleaning MAF sensor and throtle body, cleaning Injectors on bench, checking all hoses and connectors like crazy... :confused:

11. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My only remaining suggestion is to get the Toyota P3190 trouble shooting procedure and proceed through that. The P3190 can be caused by many different things. Good luck.

12. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where can I get Toyota P3190 trouble shooting procedure?

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    techinfo.toyota.com offers short subscriptions to the official repair manual.

Probably the cheapest way to access the official up-to-date version.

14. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to make sure, have you been clearing the code before trying to start it?

15. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Triple check that ALL the hoses are connected. Your first trouble code was a P0171 for a lean condition. I am guessing that you left a hose off when you did the head gasket replacement. Now the engine will not start since you disconnected the 12v battery and cleared the fuel trim data stored in the ECM.

16. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not allways... Should I clean codes with OBD scaner, or by disconnecting 12V battery, or both? Dose disconnecting 12V battery clear any codes? As I saw other, that have repair P3190, seem car start running normaly after fixing issue without clearing any codes...

Tanks Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, will get those instructions.

17. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I seem to remember needing to clear the code to get my car to start when I had the a P3190, but I could be wrong.

18. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #38 DAVID 4, Jun 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  19. DAVID 4

DAVID 4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda, but not hose off, it was exhaust manifold not sealed. Than I sealdet leak, reset trims and no start.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the site for the US. For Slovenia, https://www.toyota-tech.eu/ is the place to go. As an added incentive, the EU pricing is better than the US.

It's really best to just give people this link:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

It not only includes the right links for different regions, it also describes other sources for the information, some of which can be free, and it describes the different manuals and reference sources available there, what's in each, and how best to use them.