1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190 loss of power, and red triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dbryant1732, Apr 2, 2018.

1. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've watched the dynamics of oil flow characteristics for years.... every time I do an oil change. The oil pours out initially, then goes to a fine hair thin stream, then a trickle, all within minutes. I figure this is analogous to the flow dynamics of warm oil in all the oil galleys of an engine.

It only takes a few minutes to get to this trickle. Even with all the crevices and circuitous routes within the oil pathways I feel the draining of the oil back to the pan follows my above analogy and the appreciable majority is in the pan fairly quickly.

I agree that this is an overly dissected topic. Bottom line: with a Prius if someone is checking their oil level that is considered good practice. In my mind, cold or warm, waiting or not, in the end is not as important.

Paul.

05PreeUs and dolj like this.
  2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree completely and expand to any vehicle.

3. Jay Spear

Jay Spear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could be many things. I replaced my 12 volt battery (bosch) and that didn't solve it. Then i added 4 gallons of gas and all errors cleared.

Hybrid Error message on the dash - was actually a LOW ON FUEL symptom. Toyota might have put a fuel message up but they didn't. BTW I had two fuel bars and 40 trip miles left.

Hope this helps someone else.

kutcht1 likes this.
  4. Tyrel Simpson

Tyrel Simpson New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this same problem about ⅛ mile from jiffy lube after my wife had the oil changed. My problem was that a mouse used the top of my engine as it place to crack maple seeds and eat them and left a pile of his garbage on top of my air filter cover. Jiffy Lube's vacuum was broken, so they didn't clean it off before removing the cover. When they removed the cover to check the air filter a bunch of seeds fell into the intake and got into the mass air flow sensor. We got it all cleaned out, sprayed mass airflow cleaner on the sensor and we were back on the road. Hope this helps someone else. 20220616_110928.jpg

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why did jiffy lube open the air box when it looked like that? You were there for an oil change?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's where jiffy lube adds engine oil

2010moneypit? likes this.
  7. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LOL. If they put any in at all. I know two people that jiffy forgot to add oil to the engine when done draining it.

bisco likes this.