1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190 P3191 P0A0F wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    One of my prius just made the journey from Colorado to Arizona and back. The following day it was driven 1/4 of a mile before dying while my wife was driving it. The car has had a bunch of electrical problems and modifications but this is something ive never experienced before. For one the car has 299,999+ miles on it, and during the road trip it was doing a familiar thing where i had to jump it every time i turn it off (the postive battery terminal was completely cut off when i got the car so ive been improvising a connection for years, sometimes it comes loose).
    It is currently in a parking lot and Im afraid of it getting towed so before i tow (push) one prius with another, id really like to get it started to bring around the corner back to my home. throwing codes p3190 3191and P0A0F. Like an idiot , I unplugged the battery and cleared the codes it threw for my wife.

Please nerds. You wonderful folks have gotten me out of so many jams. It has to be something simple like the air intake system (cleaned the MAF sensor and swapped out HV battery so far)...might clean the throttle body.

Oh i forgot, before my wife drove the car I resoldered my positive battery creation and checked the HV battery fuse, so i couldve did something stupid under the hood....

#1 Gino Veltri, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With that kind of mileage, that would be my first step after losing 12v power. Takes under 15 seconds with a toothbrush dipped in alcohol.

After sorting out the 12v issue(s), you might need to procure a toyota hybrid compatible obd2 scanner that supports freeze frame data.

3. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ah really? dont i have to remove the air box to clean the throttle body? Ive also got freeze frame data from each code, luckily that is not erased. Also the milage is 299,999+ and i just took it to Arizona and back, im actually surprised she made it. But i watched the oil carefully and the coolant, and maybe added a tiny bit of oil, could i have added too much? dipstick loooks fine but i never trust them anyway.
    Could i be dealing with a blown engine? i mean it has a million miles and a sketchy unknown history.

What about the two clicks when starting the car. It is very noticeable when only one click happens. Why not a second click?

Attached Files:

#3 Gino Veltri, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The freeze frame for the P3191 indicates that the ICE apparently isn't getting enough fuel. The upstream Air-Fuel sensor reads very lean (almost 5V)- should be around 3.3V . The B1S2 downstream oxygen sensor reads 0V - again very lean.

edit: I just realized that this is during a cold start attempt- so AF and O2 sensor readings are unreliable until the ICE runs abit. Still would check the fuel pump first.

That matches with the fuel trim numbers, short term + long term = total fuel trim . About +31% for this freezeframe. Ideally that should be near 0. The ECM wanted an A-F ratio of 15.6:1. It measured 18.1:1.

The MAF sensor reading for 850 RPM isn't that bad. (the MAF measures how much air goes into the ICE- the ECM uses this as one of the major inputs to decide how much fuel to inject). Still not a bad idea to pull the MAF and carefully clean it

This could be a problem with the fuel pump (or the wiring to it), maybe the injectors (or wiring), or even "bad" gas. (Putting E85 in a car that isn't designed for it can cause a lot of problems).

I would be seeing where I could rent or borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check what the fuel pump can do.

Starting fluid is a can of ether (highly flammable gas) that one can spray into a diesel engine to help it start. Too much can cause (minor) explosions and engine damage. The idea is to give the ICE a small shot of fuel and see if it tries to actually run. I have a special tool that feeds propane gas through a small hose.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 mr_guy_mann, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  5. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Awesome, youre a life saver. I feared it may be fuel pump related. E85? I did just take a road trip, i couldve selected the cheapest gas possible. Is flex fuel labeled obviously and separate in your experience? Ive never heard of it.

How does one test a fuel pump that is located inside the gas tank?

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Interesting development that I know is related. When I go to jump the car w a known good 12 volt using the jump points under the hood, I get no spark. I used to jump her every time so I’m aware of the process and this stands out to me. It’s the first thing I noticed the day she died too. Also the battery clicking once instead of twice. I feel like it’s a fuse or relay or something stupid n small like that. Thoughts?

7. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The jump process works fine and I get a voltmeter reading but no spark , why?

8. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So in case this helps anyone , what ended up working was cleaning the mass air flow/throttle body, resoldering my positive aux cable/ground, swapping out the hv battery (for a halfassed reconditioned one), and a half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank.

SFO likes this.