1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

p3190 please check my trouble-shooting?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Weroance, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Weroance

Weroance New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey thanks for reading I've been check out similar messages but I can't find a similar circumstance in the details.
    Soooo...
    Starts on Monday morning (cold engine) drive a quarter mile, loss of engine power limping under electric, pull over, pop in the obd scanner: reads p3190.
    clear codes.
    Starts, runs for 6 seconds idle rises a bit and shuts off returning p3190
    Read a lot of threads etc. and following advice I cleaned the MAF and remove the Throttle body and clean a very dirty plate.
    Put it back together and it runs normally except for throttle calibration and it stays on while charging the battery.
    drive around town until it behaves normally and battery is high blues.
    Drive it Tuesday - fine actually better after the cleaning
    Wednesday after running for a few hours it repeats original symptoms. Both times like a switch
    Full tank
    visually check MAF and intake - OK
    read more threads which leads me to collect more diagnosis data
    Still starts and runs smoothly shuts off and returns p3190
    but I sample MAF and throttle data during 6 seconds
    MAF is within spec at all times and maps to rpm perfectly
    absolute throttle:
    15% with engine off - ?
    Press start immediately 47% stays there

log shows "absolute throttle position" spikes from 66% down to 44% twice back to 47 and then no data reported, all before the engine actually starts

throttle pos log shows what you would expect. relative to engine rpm.

(i'm under the impression that absolute throttle position is the TPS's output and if that is true I don't know what throttle pos is, perhaps the desired position?)

after starting one time I put my finger on throttle return spring and there is virtually no movement. it opens about 2 - 3mm off of the stop screw and that's it.

as per the repair manual I removed the Throttle body and tested with a ohms meter
    TPS all within range except 2 - 4 read low at .8 k Ohm vs normal : 1.8 - 10.5 k Ohm at 68 F.
    motor reads 2.2 ohms vs .3 - 100 Ohms at 68 F

>>> The throttle body inspection instruction page shows the motor's spec to be minimum 50 m Ohms! That is a typo right?

As its definately warmer then 68 I put it in the freezer for five minutes

all readings dropped but the motor went to 0.0 Ohms - ?

So are my sensor logs and low reading on pins 2 and 4 enough to convict the Throttle body?

My thinking is Throttle body OR wiring damage (dont see any) OR the ECU.
    Can we eliminate fuel pressure cam, water temp and crank sensor?