1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3190 with a twist

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by aHoneyBadger, Apr 10, 2023.

1. aHoneyBadger

aHoneyBadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello all,
    I recently purchased a totaled 2012 Prius V from Copart, and I want to get it driving before I start working on fixing the damaged exterior from the crash.

I have codes p3190 and sometimes p3191 come up eventually lead the car to being put in "limp mode" where the Prius is stuck in EV mode and will not turn on the gas engine.

Reading through the forums here I have done some of the preliminary checks already (it has gas, a new 12v Aux battery, and I installed new MAF sensor) and the above issue still remains.

The "twist" to this whole situation, is that if I disconnect the MAF sensor, the Prius has no issue starting up and running (although and idle and very low speeds the engine runs very rough, but around 30 and above there are no such issues) without throwing the P3190 code (the Prius does throw 2 codes related to the MAF not being plugged in, but this is not preventing me from driving the car).

Given the above information, I am thinking the ECM may be faulty due to improperly reading the airflow from the MAF, but I do not know for sure. Does anyone have any idea how to test the ECM, or it there are additional trouble shooting steps I should take prior to replacing the ECM?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could also be something between the ECM and the MAF sensor, or even the shiny new MAF sensor itself (it happens). ECUs don't really conk out all that often.

You might go through the steps for "inspect mass air flow meter" and the troubleshooting steps for P0102 in the repair manual, just to see what they tell you.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

3. aHoneyBadger

aHoneyBadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, I will go through this troubleshooting once I get home from work today.
    I did manage to find someone with a similar issue on a 2nd Gen in the forums (2005 red triangle unless maf unplugged then check engine only | Page 2 | PriusChat) which turned out to be a cracked intake manifold.
    Unfortunately, they did not provide any pictures as to how big, or where the crack was located on the manifold but I will see if I can find anything and report back.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's one of the things it can be, but even when that's what it was in somebody else's car, sometimes you're still better off just following an overall troubleshooting procedure, that will end up taking you to your cracked manifold if that's what it is, or taking you to whatever else if that's what it is.

5. slow_wagon

slow_wagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Seems unlikely that the ECU went bad due to a crash. Where was the physical damage?

6. aHoneyBadger

aHoneyBadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Front and driver fender, see images below.

When I initially got it, several relays where missing, but the correct ones have been purchased and added back into the fuse box.

Additionally, I finally got and OBDII scanner that can read the freeze frame. I can't make heads or trails of it honestly. Does anything stick out to anyone?

Attached Files:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The short and long term fuel trim (20% and 27%) are super high. The ECM is going all out trying to inject enough fuel to make the right mixture with the air. That could mean not enough fuel getting through (bad injectors or fuel pump or fuel line), but after a collision like that, my first guess would be damage to the intake, and too much air getting in.

8. aHoneyBadger

aHoneyBadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Confirmed that was the issue!
    There was a small hole caused by the crash where the inlet into the box air filter attaches to the manifold.

I have confirmed this fixes the issue by Jerry rigging it by covering the hole with duck tape See images below.

Thank you everyone so much!

Attached Files:

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. slow_wagon

slow_wagon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, that's very crashed... hope it was cheap!

10. aHoneyBadger

aHoneyBadger New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I got it from Copart, won the prius with a bid of $550, after all the fees it was $933. I had planned to get it completely fixed and on the road this weekend. However I discovered yesterday that the Prius V uses different doors, fenders, and bumpers from the regular Gen 3 Prius...