1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3191 Engine Does Not Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gdfrsn, Dec 17, 2016.

1. gdfrsn

gdfrsn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 Prius with 215,000 miles. Because of high oil consumption I had the engine rebuilt at a local shop. Here are a couple of pictures of the engine. The hone marks are still visible on the cylinder walls, as if the rings never seated. The oil control ring is caked with carbon.

After installing the engine I am getting a P3191 code, and a couple of times the P3190 code. The "Trouble Area" list is the same for both codes. It has run briefly for several seconds at the most before shutting down with the triangle of death. I have ignition and the injectors are spraying normally. I have no reason to suspect any of the sensors although I did test the mass airflow meter and knock sensor resistances. They were both normal. As a side note to install the knock sensor as instructed (pictured below) requires removing the knock sensor lead clip from it's mount. The lead is too short otherwise to mount it as shown. I think this is a rabbit trail as my brother's Prius has the knock sensor facing down.

So now after seeing "engine" as a possible trouble area (Hmm, yeah, I think that may be the problem) I'm reviewing the info from the rebuilders receipt and see that they installed "RECON 2.0/ 1998 TOYTA HEAD". How can I verify that this head is the correct head for this engine? Was the 1st Gen Prius head the same as the 2nd Gen Prius? The other thing I'm seeing now is oil in the intake below the throttle valve. Wondering if they forgot to install the valve guide seals ... what fun.

P3190.jpg

Knock Sensor.jpg

f IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0458.JPG

m.wynn and valde3 like this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's an engine that has spent its life on dino oil. The deposits on the piston skirt says it all. The valve area must look like a horror show.
    My guess is dealer maintained oil changes. That car has been driven hard and hung up wet.

P3191 is poor engine performance. Throttle body is first suspect and has failed or is hopelessly dirty and the butterfly is not opening. Take air cleaner off and try rotating the butterfly by the axle end of the butterfly that has a spring wound around its end so it returns to its semi closed position. Just grab that whole springed end and turn it. Its hard to turn but should open and close smoothly. Look down the TB throat with the butterfly wide open and see how bad it is. use flashlight. Check closely and make sure the butterfly is not getting stuck in its resting position. Clean the tb throat and apply spray lubricant to that spring wound end.

There will always be a little puddle of oil in the bottom of the tb. Its a by product of an Atkinson engine. Always there and means nothing. My bought new car in 07 had it and always does over 9 years of ownership. Nothing to see there move along.

Don't know why your messing with the knock sensor as it has nothing to do with your malady. There is a mechanical isuse thats preventing the engine from starting. Poor tb maintenance has been the #1 over 10 years on this site. That or you ran out of gas.

Also do yourself a favor and delete this thread and re-post it over in the Prius Maintenance and Troubleshooting forum. Not alot of people come by this forum as its more of a technical discussion forum. You need help with an engine that won't start. You'll get alot more eyes on it over there. Good Luck.

m.wynn likes this.
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe just doing the compression check would be a good idea. For Prius you do need Techstream or some other Toyota hybrid capable scanner (mini-vci is cheap and good) to do the compression test to do simulated cranking.

Small amount of oil in intake manifold is normal for Prius. But too much oil there or oil collecting there too fast might still tell about some problem.

Did you get some warranty for the engine reconditioning? Sorry to say this but reconditioning engine seems a bit weird to me as I would think that you could easily find cheap low mileage engine in US.

PS. Thank you for the pictures. The pictures look like the older Toyota engines where oil consumption is mostly caused by piston rings and oil drain holes getting clogged. So maybe somebody that has a Prius with some oil consumption might get it fixed by just pouring solvent into cylinders to clean piston rings and oil drain holes.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt the installed head is correct considering the Prius engine operates on Atkinson cycle and that the engine displacement is 1.6L. It is not likely that the Classic Prius has the same head as the 2G Prius because of detail differences in the engine designs (such as valve timing, hence camshaft lobe differences would result). The combustion chamber design also may have slight differences.

It would have been much better for you to have installed a used 2G Prius engine from a salvage yard.

Did you check that the mass air flow sensor and throttle body are clean?

m.wynn likes this.
  5. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius classic had 8 valves the gen2 has 16 valves