1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3191 is driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by twernicke, Jun 16, 2020.

1. twernicke

twernicke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So first off this is my daughter's car just trying to help her out. The car is a 2002 with ~ 230,000 miles and has been pretty well maintained. The Hybrid battery pack was replaced about (5) years ago. I recently replaced the 12V battery, air cleaner, oil change, plugs, coils etc. The car runs great with this one exception. It will randomly throw a P3191 code and not start leaving my daughter stranded. If I scan and clear the code it will start again but have errors all over the dash for a day or so. It will run fine for days or even a week and then randomly happen again. Is there any way to narrow this down a bit as this error seems pretty generic? Thanks for the input here...I'm new to Prius but have pretty solid mechanical background with other non-hybrid cars.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, P3191 comes down to the engine was cranked for as long as the car was willing to crank it, without starting. It's no fun to have that be intermittent. Have you noticed anything about temperature, moisture, or other conditions around the particular times it doesn't start?

Because it's an engine-didn't-start code, it does fall pretty well within your solid mechanical background with other non-hybrid cars. You'll end up looking at compression, ignition, fuel pump pressure, injector condition, airflow sensors, crank and cam position sensors, wiggle-sensitive wiring, all that usual engine-not-starting stuff.

The recent air cleaner / plugs / coils etc (what was the etc?) is the kind of work you do to improve things, but of course it's also always an opportunity to disturb something and not notice, so it makes sense to go closely back over that work.

Where did you get the plugs and coils?