1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P3191 P0171

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sharnold, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The issue with this car seemed simple enough overfilled oil. I had to pull the intake and throttle body due to overfilling the oil and replace the plugs.ive also replaced the air filter and the mass air sensor. But the car is still giving these codes the interesting part is after you clear the codes the car will not throw a code and will drive like a brand new car bc well it practically is. But once you shut it off a restart it rattles and goes dead till you clear the codes then you can drive it again. Upon inspection the owner said the car was wrecked and repaired. Here's the fun part the wiring harness was ripped from the map sensor and the plug was broken he replaced it with another plug from another car and didnt know what wires went where does anyone know or can send me a picture of the wiring colors off of the plug on one of yours so I can rewire it these wire colors I dont think are the original colors and I'm going to have to strip them back.....I believe this to be the issue. Hes also hooked up a four wire plug I dont know if it would even work.....also when you pull the map sensor it's full of antifreeze could they have possibly screwed up the hoses lol ...... ty in advance 20190820_175802.jpeg 20190820_175734.jpeg 20190820_175718.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 Sharnold, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this 2015 Prius for the map sensor showing the wiring color orientation on the plug?
    The reason for the antifreeze in the map sensor is due to the body shop pulling the map sensor and the throttle body to rewire the plug the had the sensor out when they pulled the coolant lines.

#2 Sharnold, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the office today and did a search through the OEM repair manual. There's nothing on the color of the wires and the manual is black & white. What they have are voltage and resistance specs on page 2234.

FYI, for easier searching through the manuals it's connector D3

Edit: nevermind have to look for D3 in wiring diagram

#3 mjoo, Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Pin 1 (PIM) is black
    Pin 2 (E2) is yellow
    Pin 3 (VC) is light blue

In your last picture, Pin #1 is the left corner.

5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your the man ty sir

6. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rewired the map plug yellow and black was switched I also cleaned the map..... but back to the same scenario car says maintenance needed engine rattles then says check hybrid system only code is P3190..... suggestions? Did the crossed wires fry the map?

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's possible. Not sure what reversed polarity would do to that sensor. I'm familiar with automotive electronics and some sensors (especially microchips) are easy to fry. At this point I would make sure that you're getting the right voltages at the connector. The manual also has resistance numbers so testing with a long wire plugged into ECU and checking connector with a multimeter could be step #2.

Also check your fuses

8. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are Prius stories of rodents having a soy buffet with wire harnesses.

Best of luck and please let us know what you find.