1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PA080 replace hybrid battery (check hybrid on dash), no specific codes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MilkyWay, Jun 27, 2019.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the gen 2s the scanner will pick up specific battery blocks that are bad. It is super obvious when the battery is bad and tells you which one.

For me at least on this particular gen 3 it just has a generic "replace hybrid battery pack" code. Still getting high 40s mpg....Still driving great. Deleted code and I'm hoping it was just from sitting around for a while...or?

Brought to hybrid battery mechanic and he checked all the voltages and nothing looked suspicious. All within spec. Put it on a steep hill and watched as it discharged/charged and all data looked good. Instead of leaving it with him I'm just gonna keep driving it to see if it comes back.

Does it usually give a specific code? Since this happened is it a sign it is on its way out and will be back soon? Or have there been cases where it comes on randomly but not necessarily a bad hybrid battery. Has around 170K miles.

First scanned with my cheap scanner (PA080), then with local mechanics snap-on, then hybrid battery mechanic on a laptop connected to Tech Stream.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There should be some sub-codes stored with your general warning code. Some hybrid subcodes can be read by Dr. Prius App and your cheap scanner. Also Toyota techstream will read those subcodes... But, if you cleared the code already you're gonna have to wait for it to come back. Alternatively, this would be a good time to pull the pack for inspection and cleaning. I've often seen corrosion cause general warning codes and it's not the actual batteries that are bad, just corrosion affecting the sensors or ECU.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

MilkyWay likes this.