1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PAC SWI-RC or Axxess ASWC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Duhockey, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Duhockey

Duhockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any preference on which works better with the Prius wiring system?

It appears both work fine with my Kenwood KDC-BT652U, at least according to Crutchfield.

Thanks,

2. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the Axxess. It was easy to install and works great.. no experience on the other.

3. Duhockey

Duhockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so does everything work on the steering wheel? I dont have the phone buttons on my steering wheel, just want to make sure the A/C, the volume and mode buttons still work.

4. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have the phone buttons either. Yep, everything works on the steering wheel. A necessary feature (imo).

5. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My only gripe with the AXXESS module is that the channel select buttons map to channel scan rather than the presets. There's also a very small lag between pressing the button and seeing it change on my JVC unit.

6. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually prefer that the default is channel scan. You may be able to manually program it to presets. I had auto-programmed it. The small lag is hard to distinguish. It may be the function you are doing, like changing an mp3 on a flash drive. For example I experience a tiny bit of lag in changing mp3s, but see no lag on volume changes.

7. Duhockey

Duhockey New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so I got all these
    Metra 708114 SWC Add-On Harness with RCA for Toyota
    Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)

Best Kits BHA1761 Radio Wire Harness

Best Kits BHO1761 OEM Radio Wire Harness

and Ive read that it should be plug and play with these. If it turns out that there are problems with the A/C, MFD etc. then what wires would I be adding a 68? ohm resistor too?

oh, and where did everyone find a 68ohm resistor? I dont think I read where people were getting these, I figured I would check Radio Shack etc.

thanks,

8. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replied somewhere that I got my 68ohm resistor at Radio Shack for ~$1.

9. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can force program the ASWC to whatever you like. The directions are on their website or should be included in the package.

The "lag" is inherent to aftermarket SWC devices. It's because it is being translated from the car then out to the radio. It should be barely noticeable.

10. Sparky9292

Sparky9292 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I figure that is just the delay in the ASWC translating the button press. I don't change channels much so the channel scan is fine for now.

My only gripe is that the ASWC had a bug that made the unit mysteriously switch modes by itself. A patch was released to fix it but I had to buy a special fracking $30 USB cable to update the unit. In addition, removing the radio in a prius is a b$tch to begin with, as opposed to the 5 min it takes on my Camry.:mad:

11. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    During the stealth install i had to remove the radio 3 times. I can successfully get it out in ~5 minutes. You'll get good if you do it a few times.

mi can successfullyy SCH-I535 ? 2