1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pacific Crest Trail - the last 200 miles - and potential Prius meets

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JimboPalmer, May 2, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are pretty much used to living "off-the-grid" even though we live on it.

Have lots of water, food. Have all the paperwork, etc. (well, mostly) taken care of.

We live in "nowhere." Where "no one" cares. So, as do all our neighbors, we do it ourselves.

Would not live anywhere else (well, not for long, anyway).

But, living here does have some risks. One being wildfire. The other being police response for crimes.

We keep a very defensible space, but the local fire departments are mostly volunteers. And, while they try, it takes them a lot of time to gather a force and the force is not as "quick" or as on top of things as a professional crew.

But, we know that. And accept that -- for the beautiful spot we live.
    kris

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unclear from NOAA weather radio website if they broadcast local/regional fire info. If not, I think it would be a good idea.

That and road atlas makes a person on the go very well informed. Cause as soon as your out the door, that internet blogspot is left behind.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We could really go down the rabbit hole with 'prepper' stuff, But I think fireproof safe is fair enough to mention.

If your risk is flooding, and you load up the safe with irreplaceable documents and put it in a low place. Let your imagination complete this sequence.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Papers inside dry bag inside safe, I'm thinkin'

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    John and Linda drove until this week on electricity, and drove it out of electrical range so they could get gas and see how it did on gasoline. They drove to Idaho and back and got 56 MPG in HV mode. When done they had 12 miles of EV range. They found a spot at Rainy Pass we can wait for John to walk by.

| Facebook

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    waiting for john to walk by, now that sounds like a hoot.:rolleyes:

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There will be other through- and section-hikers to chat with, day hikers using the same trailheads, and even cross-continent bicyclists taking a rest break there.

BTDT for a several hours last August, supporting several hundred riders on a bicycling event. Their lunch stop was at Washington Pass to the east, but by Rainy Pass a few were already wanting more water. A half dozen cross-country cyclists coming from the other direction were in much greater need, as their last water had been quite far away, so I restocked them too.

I felt most sorry for the pair of Aussies independently following a route similar to ours. Crossing paths several times, we got to know them somewhat. But heavy forest fire smoke robbed them of the normally wonderful views through the North Cascades. The smoke wasn't good for breathing during heavy exercise either.

But my Rainy Pass water stop shift was relatively short, with a large number of customers departing the same camp that morning. Waiting for a hiker coming from a previous contact point multiple days earlier will involve a much wider time window, and fewer people to chat up. And no mobile internet available to fill in the gap times.

#29 fuzzy1, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    While John will be at the same time of year as the thru-hikers, he will be 1/3 their speed, so virtually everyone we see will have passed him somewhere. (as a 66 year old among the 20-somethings, they WILL notice him) That will help guess his pace. I mailed my self a folding chair today in WA, so I can sit and be calm. The scenery should be different than the Mississippi Delta.
    [​IMG]

If I can give away fruits and vegetables, I have no doubt I will be popular with the thru-hikers. It is possible rides to stores will be a gift, as well.

John's schedule will be hard to predict on his first food drop, (Suiattle River Trail, 8 days in?) by Rainy Pass he (and we) will have a better picture how he is doing. (another 6 days?) Then Windy Pass in 3 days, and Manning Provincial Park in 4 more days.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the scenery you want to see. But on my day there last August, forest fire smoke completely obliterated those background mountains when I arrived, thinning just barely enough to see their horizon outline (but no surface detail) by the time I left. I've seen the views there plenty of times, but too bad the overseas visitors got skunked.

But that was an unusually bad day, not a typical random summer day. September should have less likelihood of similar smoke than August.

My cycling water stop was on the wide shoulder, behind that very sign. If you provide fresh goodies as do other Trail Angels, you undoubtedly will be popular.

#31 fuzzy1, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect peer pressure, my Sister and I both have silver 2012 Prius V Three's, Now my older Brother and Daughter both have blue 2018 Prius Prime's

13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To my daughter:
    I am coming to visit in September and will likely annoy you about your Prime. Bear with me
    In your owner’s manual, is an entire chapter of items you can change or have changed.
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47C17U/pdf/OM47C17U.pdf Page 736.
    I am going to highlight some and discuss why you might want to change it, and contrast that with how I have it set. (I am an slow old man who parks in a garage at night)
    Page 739 Automatic door unlocking It defaults to unlocking any time you are in Park, but you may feel safer if it only unlock when you open the driver’s door, or you may never want automatic unlocking.
    Unlocking using a mechanical key By default, it only unlocks the driver’s door; I have mine set to unlock all, so my wife is not still locked out.
    Time elapsed before the automatic door lock function is activated if a door is not opened after being unlocked I am old and crippled, so 120 seconds is better for me.
    Page 740 Smart door unlocking Again, I want all the doors to open so my wife is not still waiting to get in, you may feel safer if only the driver’s door unlocks.
    Unlocking operation Once again, I want all the doors to open so my wife is not still waiting to get in, you may feel safer if only the driver’s door unlocks.
    (Notice, we have 3 ways to unlock a door, using the Key, Grabbing the door handle, and using the Remote, you can customize them differently. I prize consistency)
    Page 741 Signal (buzzer) when the shift position is in R This defaults to continuous, but I have mine set to a single beep.
    Page 742 Time elapsed before the headlights turn off I have mine set to 0 seconds, because I am parked in a lit garage, you might want 90 seconds if you are parked at night at work and the headlights aim toward the entrance.
    Page 744 Time elapsed before the interior lights turn off Defaults to 15 seconds, you can change this, I haven’t.
    As you can see, many of these trade convenience with security. You will be the judge of which you want.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thursday 6 I fly into SeaTac, and my daughter and her sister pick me up and take me to Bellingham. WA
    Friday 7 we get back country permits
    Saturday 8 is board games in Bellingham
    Sunday 9 is a Greek festival in Bellingham St. Sophia invites all in for Bellingham Greek Festival | News | lyndentribune.com
    Monday 10 I drive john to Stevens pass on US 2 and go to my sister's in Bay Center WA
    Tuesday 11 and Wednesday 12 I visit near Aberdeen, Montesano, Bay Center.
    Thursday 13 In Bellingham, begin electrical work on daughters house, 20 GFCI outlets when she is not able to help, outdoor motion detector light when she is able to help. (Lowest priority is a 220 v outlet for her Prime mounted between the garage doors)
    Monday 17 Drive to Suiattle River trail, first food drop for John. If the Bannock Lakes fire is still closing the PCT, we skip it and drive John to Rainy Pass Bannock Lakes Fire south of Stehekin - Pacific Crest Trail Association

Now we have two timelines, trail open and trail closed, so I do not know where I am on any given day. We also have a second trail closure, but John thinks he will walk this bypass (he has until the 20 to decide, the fire may be out) Holman Fire, Pasayten Wilderness, Washington - Pacific Crest Trail Association

My cell number is 662 299 6615 if you want to meet and greet. I may well have a new Prime I am driving. (If not, a Subaru Forester)

I fly home on Oct 2

#34 JimboPalmer, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    davecook89t likes this.
  15. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    When I saw your first post, I thought I might still be in Whatcom County, but I didn't want to say anything, knowing that many things had to come together in order for me to meet up with you. As it turns out, I'm back in NY. The missus only allowed me 3 weeks this time, which has just ended, a month earlier than had been the case for the last couple of years. Eventually, I hope to convince her to spend the entire summer out there with me, but for now I'm going out there on my own for a few weeks at a time. It's too bad I missed the chance to spend some time in a part of the PNW that I'd like to see more of. I did take North Cascades Highway on my way back East a couple of years ago, but never had an excuse to stop anywhere.

Enjoy! I hope the forecasted showers over the next few days cuts down on some of the fire danger without dampening your enthusiasm for your adventure.

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I expect to be in Aberdeen WA on Wednesday the12th.
    Lunch at Breakwater seafood and chowder house 306 s F St Aberdeen WA

I may be in Abbotsford BC on Friday the 14th.
    Overseas Fabrics
    32853 Ventura Ave, Abbotsford BC
    Dake Sushi
    2132 Clearbrook Rd, Abbotsford BC

Not sure what hours 662 299 6615

#36 JimboPalmer, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will be in Abbotsford BC on Friday the 14th.
    Overseas Fabrics 2 pm
    32853 Ventura Ave, Abbotsford BC
    Dake Sushi 1 pm
    2132 Clearbrook Rd, Abbotsford BC

662 299 6615

davecook89t likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    enjoy, how are the meet ups going?

19. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    @bisco, You seem to change your PriusChat avatar as often as our daughter changes her Facebook cover photo!:D

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i never had one until recently, when mendel taught me how. now, i can't stop myself.:whistle:

Raytheeagle and davecook89t like this.