1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package 2 with aftermarket NAv or package 3 with factory option

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Chtucker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Chtucker

Chtucker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Other than the inclusion of the JBL system, what are the differences between the two? I am thinking it would be cheaper to buy a package 2 and put $1k into a high end in dash navigation/rear view camera setup..

Am I thinking right?

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the III has XM radio? I don't think the III comes with NAV, but you are about right on the 1k for an aftermarket Rosen. They make one that is an exact fit for the radio module in a G3.

You can do a search on Rosen here and find out what other members think of the unit. It looks to be fairly easy to swap in.

3. Chtucker

Chtucker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The three doesn't dome with navigation, it's a $1930 option. The 2 is also $1000 less to start. I am guessing I won't get as nice a speaker or possibly steering wheel controls.

For $2930, I can get a nice after market navigation system and probably save $1500 or more.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In 2010 the price difference between Prius II and Prius III w/Nav was $3030, all other things equal. Believe the difference is still similar. The Base Radio is horrible and quality of this upgrade is debatable on a good day. I think it's an overpriced POS, but that's me. Installing a good system in the Prius II Base can cost less or more, depending on what you want. This requires some home work, patience and time, but the results can be so much better than Toyota's offering. That was my choice with absolutely no regrets.

Opinions vary, but the ultimate question is...what do you want?

6. Chtucker

Chtucker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Audio quality is not too critical as I will probably be listening to sponge bob. Getting there quickly with Navigation so I don't I have to listen to sponge bob is much more important.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Then get the Prius II and buy a good Garmin. Sponge Bob implies kids, so consider the leather upgrade. Toyota cloth seats and children do not mix well. It's not a port installed option, but all Dealerships have installers that handle this. Get the solid, not perforated, including door panels. That's still cheaper than the JBL with Nav upgrade.

8. Chtucker

Chtucker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I will probably spring for an in dash as I believe it reduce the chance of theft, and it will give me BT phone, IPOD control and an aux input if I buy the right model.