1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package 3 or 4 Roof or no roof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ashuri, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ashuri

Ashuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I was looking at a C and after renting one decided against it and am looking at the liftback help me decide

3 or 4

Sunroof or not

I live in SoCal.....:)
    thanks

2. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've owned my 2012 Prius 3 with the solar sunroof for just over a month now and I absolutely love it. Here in the Houston area it gets plenty hot. The solar ventilation system works like a charm plus I think it enhances the looks of it. If I live long enough to wear this one out I will buy another one but I have to have a sunroof. Good luck with your decision either way this car is so much fun to drive, simply amazing.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Solar Roof or not depends on your parking situation, whether or not you're in SoCal. If you park indoors all week while at work, you won't get much benefit.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The solar roof looks amazing on the Prius. If you have the bucks, get it ;)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

5. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like a sunroof, but wanted to keep the costs down since I just pile miles on this car. Plus I park inside nearly all the time and would rarely use the solar roof.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A gloss black vinyl wrap on the roof would be a low cost alternative to the solar roof look.

Mike :)

Mobile on my SGH-i717

7. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get the sunroof. Greatly enhances the look of the car with the black roof. The solar fan actually works well to keep the car ventilated while parked. The sun roof is nice to have open and the partial open is great to create passive ventilation on the highway without having the windows open and the all the road noise.

8. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 4 with Solar roof..................... No regrets for me it was the correct choice

9. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    no solar roof

10. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 3 w/ Solar Roof. I love it and wish I had a sunroof in my 2nd car too.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It always surprises me when people ask for advice like this.

Listen, it's up to you.

I have a Prius Two, obviously no sunroof package.

I have no regrets, but I do love sunroofs and sometimes think I should upgraded and gone with the sunroof package.

But the only thing you can do, is know exactly how much you'd be paying, and exactly what you'd be getting.

Moonroof, Solar Panel, Solar powered Ventilation System, Remote Air Conditioning Start.

And the visual aesthetic of having the moonroof and the solar panel.

Only you can really decide in relationship to your desire and cost whether you really want it.

Even though I did not get it, and I don't think that is end of the world horrible, I do think a moonroof is great. And from what I've read from those that have it, the ventilation system and remote air conditioning start, can be nice extra's as well.

If I was starting from scratch, and money was no object, I think I'd get it.

wotcher and terry brecheen like this.
  12. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the electric me pretty much summed it up.

i live socal so the solar roof was a definite yes. to add to the discussion, the 4 offers you 7.1 jbl sound and the more important (to me) features of heads up display and different gps 7in unit than the 6in. More people hate the 6in unit than the 7in. The HUD is really cool because i get HSI bar and speed. But the tech/solar roof package on 4 sets you back at least 3k vs the 1.5k upgrade on a model 3. Finally, the biggest factor between the 3 and 4 is whether you're comfortable in the prius seats. i suspect that may be the biggest complaint about the car - you'll either discover that its good or horribly out of line with your body. In that case, the more adjust modes on the 4 seats including lumbar support are strong decision makers.

WE0H likes this.