1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package 6 Versus 8

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by synth, Jan 19, 2006.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yeah everyone is GREAT around here! I learned a ton here before I bought my car. The ONLY hard part about coming here before you buy your Prius is it makes you even more anxious to want to get one asap!

I started off wanting just a base car Package #1 Then after reading lots of comments one stuck in my mind from windstring. He said this:

I have never regretted splurging untill it hurts to get the extras in anything.. but I have regretted not doing so!

I didn't want to get a Package #1 to later be sorry and a year or two from now want to trade in my car to get something more. My goal was to get what I wanted to last me for a long time. Getting a #7 would do that. So that's what I did! Haven't regretted it from Day 1! And I don't care what anyone says. Let them call me stupid for paying $30,000 for a car. I gotta do what makes me happy and feel it's one perk I should get for taking my business were it is today! It can be all work and NO play! ;)

Edited to add: Plus I paid for the extras by saving up some extra money for them!

Edited again to add: I did want darker seat on my car BUT decided to give up one thing to get something faster so I didn't have to fix my POS car. At least I got the extrerior color and package I wanted. I didn't have time to wait without putting alot of money into a car that is no longer worth it. (Also the dealerships I talked to said the black Priuses they were getting in had the lighter seats so it might have been a long wait)

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well there are some things in life that aren't worth doing unless you do it all the way!

3. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

RIGHT! And my daughters aunt recently paid $30,000 for a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. It's yellow and looks sharp BUT she has none of the cool gadgets that the Prius has or the gas mileage we get!

Different things for different folks! I like her car but like mine better!

I can't undertand how people can go on and on bashing a Prius. Side by side to this 2004 Monte Carlo the Prius is much more in many ways for the same amount of money. Why don't people say their crazy? Makes me wonder. Maybe their just not thinking straight? I'm no genius but I have NO problem seeing it? Wonder why others do? <_<

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Why do Prius owners even care what other people say or think about our decisions to drive a Prius? This doesn't make any sense to me. As a population... are we really that insecure?

/Jim

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Synth... unless *I* am totally confused, you do NOT lose bluetooth by skipping the Nav. That's how it used to be, but not for 2006. Am I wrong? The only thing that Nav ads is... well, Nav. I actually asked this specific question earlier in another thread.

BTW, I just ordered package 6 if that makes anybody happy.

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The answer is: back to pure battery EV. Doesn't look likely, but we've been there before, and stepped BACKWARDS to hybrids. So you never know. My EV is my primary vehicle (12k miles/year) and the Prius will be my secondary car for longer trips (~4k miles/year).

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

:rolleyes:
    At this point I don't care what they say. It's just that I'm getting sick of hearing it. First thing that comes out of someones mouth when I tell them I have a Prius is OH NO the battery is going to go bad and your going to have to replace it after 2-3 years. :rolleyes:

8. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tracy! How's kicks? So, yeah, like what Tracy says. Oh, and like what Windstrings says, too. I am SO there.......

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try driving a pure battery electric if you REALLY want to hear that a lot.

So back to the bluetooth thing. I have heard this so much (that you don't get it excpet with Nav, that I started to believe it. But it isn't so! You get it even without the Nav. Right from Toyota:

Package #6 -- includes driver and front passenger front seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags [2], anti-theft system and auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® [5] universal transceiver, Smart Key System, backup camera [3], Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [4], High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps and integrated fog lamps, and JBL® AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with nine speakers in seven locations, auxiliary audio jack, MP3/WMA playback capability and hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth® [6] wireless technology

10. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If we could have gotten a #6, I definitely would have gone for that. Unfortunately, the big T isn't selliing them in our state. Actually I would have been even happier to get last year's pkg. #4 on an '06.

I just hope Toyota isn't saying "see, everyone really seems to wants the pkg. 7" as an indication of purchasing preferences. The tiered pricing really rubbed me wrong; almost enough to buy the HCH2. I'll probably never use the bluetooth option, garage opener, over-reaching world of airbags. But we ordered a pkg. 7, just to get HID for my wife. If I could have got a pkg. 4 and retrofitted the HID pkg. at a reasonable price I would have gone that route. Oh well, hopefully the unused stuff will help the resale value.

11. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I say go for as much as you can afford and then enjoy and don't look back!!!! :p :p

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Hey what's up (or down) in FL??!!

Yeah windstring did set my mind straight! B)

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I think it will!

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Yes exactly! I would never look back and be sorry for what I decided to end up buying!

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

yea.. its different folks for different strokes!.... Note I reversed that on purpose!

Your prius will get at least twice the gas mileage, and twice the longevity , 3 times the reliability and 5 times the features and quite possibly twice the luxuries.
    Note those numbers are not scientific.... just my hunch.

It will take a while for the public to see... but hey..its good they dont' all see now or the demand would be crazy compared to the supply!.... which would only raise the price even higher.

I guess after hanging around here a while it becomes quite obvious, but to many... they haven't a clue..... its not thier fault per se... they are just not informed.

Its quite amazing how popular the prius is when I rarely see commercials. I've only seen two since October where I live.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its just human nature to pick at anything thats not like them or they don't understand.

Also some may feel guilty for being so dirty in thier emissions, others may feel jealous because they can't have one....

The prius looks different!... people love looking different to state thier independance... like wearing thier hair different, or tattoes, etc etc..... then in the equal contrast others lash out at those who seem to somehow insult them by lavishing in being different than they are.

who knows and who cares... people are complex... you go out of your way to please them, then they change thier mind tomorrow....

People are far too flakey to fashion your life around... you have to do what you know is right... they can figure it out or they won't but at least you will feel good about your own decisions.

If it wasn't for this flakiness in people, the fashion and fad gurus would be out of business.

If there was no one on the planet to impress... I would still want to drive a prius.... its that cool.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Until we have batteries that can take enough KWH in 5 minutes to get us another 500 miles down the road, and until we have electric filling stations to deliver that amperage to us at regular intervals..... you don't want pure EV..... what are you going to do when your run out?... pull out your gas and generator and sit for 3 hours to charge back up?
    Presently the Hybrid is the best of both worlds because gas is the best backup.

When we first get to plugins we will still want gas as a backup or you'll be screwed when you run out of electricity.

It will be a while till pure EV can be trusted for long travel....in the immediate future it will only be good for short travels to work and back.

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Do you think EV will ever be available for long travel? I wouldn't think so since the battery would only be able to take you SO far without having to be recharged somehow.

I would just love the PlugIn Prius just for the city driving. Then when I travel I can go to gas. I would be fine with that type of setup. Except I don't like the 10,000+ price tag to get that setup.

If the owner or Toyota is reading these forums PLEASE PLEASE give me a Cheap PlugIn for my Prius. I will even be your tester and at no charge will do any of your testing for you. Give me the BEST of both worlds. I would be happy as can be even if I can only use it for city driving.

If you do add a PlugIn option I think people would go even MORE wild over your car!

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I have never seen a Prius commercial. I want to be in one of them. I could sell a million Priuses if I got the chance!

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I feel good about my decision to buy a Prius. In my mind nothing they say will change that. It's a done deal and I'm sticking to it!

I promise you that UNLESS a new PlugIn Prius comes out (and it can't be added to my existing Prius) or I get me a space ship my Prius is home for a long time to come!