1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Package 6 Versus 8

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by synth, Jan 19, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the availability of batteries at a reasonable price is our main obstacle... the other technology I think is already there.

Too many batteries makes a ton of weight!.... it take a tremendous amount of energy to hurle 3000 lbs down the road for 4 - 500 miles at 70mph.

We still need a way to store energy in a compact light safe form..... It will take some other form such as hydrogen etc because I expect it may be a while before batteries can store that much energy unless a whole new technology in batteries is found.

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok can you get to cracking on that for us? ;)

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oooh! Warning, Warning! Maybe you missed my signature?

I could discuss this with you until you turn blue. But this isn't the place, and I likely should not have brought it up here, but just *had* to answer the question.

You can read about my thoughts on the subject in my various FAQs on my site:
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/ - this FAQ: http://www.darelldd.com/ev/ev_faq.htm

You say here that I don't want pure EV, yet that is exactly what I've been driving as my main vehicle for six years. We put 12k miles on one of them last year alone! Does that sound like it is limiting? The fact of the matter is that I *do* want pure EVs. They are a fabulous choice for what most drivers do most of the time. I've owned three EVs now. Having to go back to gasoline stations and oil changes and and tuneups is putting a big crimp in my style, but I don't have the choice to buy another EV, so I'm stuck. Turns out that I almost NEVER need to drive 500 miles in my daily life. And when I do, I can make other arrangements (like drive a Prius, for example, which is exactly why I'm buying one as my *secondary* vehicle). We can start another thread for this discussion though if you'd like. If you do, please let me know so I don't miss it!

You can likely tell (now) that I'm a firm believer in pure EVs. I even grow my own fuel on my roof! To date, I have never been "screwed" in running out of electricity, though I do realize that's the common preception of EVs. Turns out that they're a lot more flexible than you're giving them credit for. And I always know EXACTLY how much power I have in 10ths of a percentage. None of this "flashing bar" business for me! Please keep your mind open, as you wish others to do regarding your choice of transportation that is just a wee bit outside the envelope as well. ;)

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK... you keep begging me to reply! :)

We've had quick-charge capability for for 20 years. Was developed right alongside the original prodection BEVs. Airports use them every day to keep service vehicles in service all day without having to swap battery packs. There is NO rocket science in quick charging! And we have already demonstrated BEVs with 300 mile range. But the price of these is too high since there is ZERO economy of scale.

The main thing you sacrifice with weight is the energy to accelerate. Maintaining steady speed is not a big deal. But you don't need to carry enough battery to go 500 miles when you typically drive 20 miles/day. You carry enough for 100 or 200 miles, and in the rare times when you need to go further, you spend 10 minutes recharging every few hours of driving. Not a major inconvenience! You keep mentioning 500 miles. How often per year do you drive 500 straight miles? When you can refuel at home conveniently each night, and quick-charge on the road (pipe dream here, but way the hell cheaper than a single H2 station!), you simply do not need 500 miles of range in your daily driver. At least most people don't - maybe you do. There are plenty of gas hogs from years past that only had 200 miles of range and folks seem to survive just fine.

Hydrogen is way behind batteries in this regard even with more effort, years and money thrown at it.

And again... we *really* shouldn't be doing this in this thread! And no, I can't help myself. I have no self control.

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh you mean you are driving an all electric car?? You mean like a GEM? Interesting. I wanted one of those but I live in WI and it's not all closed in even with the hard covers so I would have only been able to drive it in the summertime. Please at this point I'm not able to drive it in WI. (I think that might be changing though)

Can I ask you what you paid for your electric car? The GEMS I was looking at were at a starting price of $6,995.

I do have a moped I drive in the summer. I get over 100mpg with it! I drive it all over unless I'm going shopping and the trunks not be enough to hold everything I plan to get. (I do load it up sometimes though.)

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I don't think the OP would mind? :unsure:

Can I borrow your EV car? :huh:

Ok.....Can I at least see a pic of it PLEASE!

And why get a Prius if you have an all electric car. Just for longer trips? If so why not just get a cheap car for your extra car?

I hope you don't mind all my questions. Winstrind doesn't mind sharing you with me! Right windstring ;)

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey, there's no stopping me... until somebody asks me to stop! :)

The link in my sig will take you to my EV page. OR just click back there. No, I don't drive a GEM. I drive a REAL car that happens to run on batteries. On the left is my first EV, the EV1 by GM. On the right is our current main car, a Rav4EV. It'll easily go 100 miles with our whole family and gear. I've gone 135 miles in it, which is the equivalent energy usage of about 120 miles per gallon. I make all my fuel for it on my roof and it is our daily commuter, and our weekend outing car. About once a month we need a long-distance liquid-fueled car.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.darelldd.com/ev/images/misc/bothevssmall.jpg

Next is my latest EV, a Ford Ranger. This one will be sold to help finance the Prius.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.darelldd.com/ev/images/ranger/ranger_tim/ranger_tim01.jpg

So there's the three EVs that I've "owned." These are all production vehicles, not conversions or retro-fits. The EV1 was my favorite car of all time. Nothing else like it.

Please cruise around the site for more information on BEVs than a sane guy would offer. You may notice that just tonight I stated a Prius page. Nothing much in there yet!

8. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We are a typical American family with a stable of two cars (currently three, but that'll change soon). The Rav4EV is the main vehicle that is driven every day. Our secondary car (currently a Honda Civic) is used for longer trips, AND for the times when my wife and I both need a car at the same time. It is that second part that gets to me... we NEED a long-distance car for convenience, but I hate firing up a gasoline engine for when I just need to take my daughter 15 miles to her gymnastics. And that's why we also have the Ranger EV. Anyway, long story short, we're selling the Civic and the Ford Ranger EV and buying the Prius as the best, currently available compromise for our second car. We simply can't have three cars sitting around for the two of us. Nowhere to put them for one thing! I don't want a cheap, crappy car for our secondary car, because we DO take long trips in it, and well... I just don't like cheap crappy cars.

I know the Energy CS guys (the technology behind the Li-ion Plug-in retrofit). And I may eventually give that a shot. Our local utility just purchased one of their conversions that was delivered last week. These things are actually being built, folks!

I sure don't mind, but I do feel guilty putting all this in this otherwise relevant thread. :) My hope is that people who care can read through my site a bit to answer some questions. And maybe we can start an EV thread somewhere so I don't pollute others' threads.

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh cool! I gotta check out your website. What do you mean by the comment above I quoted? You mean the manufacturers made you these vehicles into electric cars for you??? Or you modified them.

I was expecting to see something like the GEM or something.

Do these cars also go on gas too?

I wanna buy your pickup truck if it's ALL electric. I NEED a truck! I'm mad at myself for getting rid of my old Toyota pickup truck. I should have kept it for hauling stuff.

PS That first blue car is kinda funky looking :unsure:

Why don't you turn your Prius into an EV car??

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Well I'm going to go checkout your site. Can we start a thread under other cars and talk after I look over your site? This stuff is cool to me!

I started on here under other cars:

Ev Thread

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Production vehicles are cars that are made that way from the beginning. Just like your Prius. They are NOT modified - this is the way they were built. They rolled out of the factory as battery electric vehicles.

There is no engine, no transmission, no oil, no gas tank, no exhaust.... so no. No gas.

All vehicles shown are pure electric. You'll see that noted somewhat obviously when you visit the front page of my site.

Compared to the Prius?! Yes, it is odd, but it grows on you when you spend time with it and feel the performance. That thing was a rocket. 0-60 in about seven seconds. It beat my 250hp Turbo Volvo to 60mph. That was and still is the most aerodynamic production street vehicle in the world. 0.19 cd if I remember correctly. The rear axel is a foot narrower than the front. It truly is tear-drop shaped.

Money. The Prius would be an awesome host. But I'd have to buy one for $30k, then throw most of it away, and add another $30k. I'm not as rich as I am good-looking!

OK, and that's the end of it here - we're moved to Tracy's new thread. Whew.

so.... get package six and save your money! :)