1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Packets Under My Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by newandconfused, Apr 30, 2020.

1. newandconfused

newandconfused New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster.

My wife and I went outside today and noticed what looked like the plastic splash guard hanging under the car. Upon further inspection, we noticed what look to be silver and white packets hanging along with it. Any remote clue what this could be?

My wife and I are beyond confused, and are concerned that we shouldn't touch the car until we have it towed somewhere.

Car is a 2012 Prius 2

Attached Files:

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that's just your bottom panels; they have some little 'bags' attached to it /
    get a few clips & push it back up /
    no biggie at all /

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've seen better pictures of bigfoot. Anyway, I suspect that's the first black panel at the front, just aft of the painted bumper? It can be removed and remedied without even jacking up the car. A 10 mm socket wrench, and/or #2 Phillips screw driver (cross-head), and a slim flat blade screw driver (or paint can opener) are the tools you need to remove it for refurb. There's one row of bolts going into weld nuts, a nother row with screws going into nylon blocks, and a single expansion style plastic fastener.

If you roll up to concrete wheel stops frequently, this piece is VERY prone to snag and hang up. Takes a lot of abrasion, may need to be replaced. Or you can sometimes use fiberglass mesh and 2 part epoxy on the back, to reinforce it.

Here's a real cheap knock-off replacement. Not sure how good it is, but worth a try:

^ I assumed, likely in error, that your addresss was in Canada, more likely California, USA. Anyway, you can google product info from the above link.

Details of the Toyota part, and various fasteners (if you're missing some) here:

Buy genuine front bumper & bumper stay for Toyota Prius 3 generation, restyling 12.2011 - 11.2015 from Japan - Amayama

Huh, the genuine Toyota piece is cheaper, in the above link. Or maybe not, with shipping. Close though.

4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The packets are likely road trash that got caught on you loose flaps

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Perhaps underbody thermal insulation?

6. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no road trash, they are glued on /
    they are pretty much exactly below the oil filter, so maybe if the oil filter is slightly leaking they're supposed to suck up a small amount of oil & prevent it from dripping on the road / ?

& no, I will not be the guinea pig to go out & cut it in half to see what's inside.... ;)

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you buy it used?
    Who knows what it's history might of been.

I think you need a trained drug sniffing dog.

Mendel Leisk likes this.