1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Packing with 2 Passengers

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by TomNat, Nov 11, 2015.

1. TomNat

TomNat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have a new Prius v Model 5, about to drive to FL for the winter, and are looking for packing tips. Our prior FL trip car was a 2004 Mazda MPV mini-van, which had plenty of luggage room. We have just passengers in the front seats; so the back seat & rear area are all free for stuff.

It looks like we will have the most room by leaving the back seats up with backs most upright/not reclined & moved forward to be even with the flat rear seat floor. Then we can put narrow coolers, other items less than 9-10"(inches) wide, etc. on the floor behind the front seats, and put the wider, tallest items on back seat cushions. The narrow space between the back seat and rear deck will work for flat clothing packing cubes, narrow router/modem boxes, etc.(will not block the big battery cooling intake). If you don't want to block the rear window, you can't pack the rear area higher than 18", other than on the driver's side behind the rear seat head rest, where you can pack to the roof, about 29" high. We will also pack the under rear floor storage boxes with tools, tire pump, battery jump cables, etc.

Do the softek back seat cushions recover from luggage wheel dents, etc. Any other packing suggestions or corrections would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Softex is nearly indestructible. Poking injuries seems to vanish quickly.
    I would leave the back seats down and slid all the way back, opening up the cavern behind the front seats. YMMV. Leaving them up will limit the flexibility of that space. It might be interesting to take a laser volume measurement tool and figure out if either way increases total cargo space. But leaving them down gives a single open space - more flexible than having it broken up into 2 spaces.

3. beachgeek

beachgeek Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The only problem with putting the back seats down is they don't lay flat. And then there's that narrow "ditch" in there.

4. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In our hatchback, we can pack 3 passengers, and enough camping gear for 3 nights, inc. 7gal water, firewood, 12V AGM power supply, 3 lanterns with tripods, the works...

Torklift Eco-Hitch
    Curt Wiring Harness
    Firestone Coil-Rite Air Suspension
    Thule Transporter Combi Cargo Box

[​IMG]

markabele likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jealous.

6. TomNat

TomNat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the replies. As mentioned, the back seats down don't lay flat, which is not useful for suitcases, boxes, etc. We did put the back seat down once to carry an exercise bike, but we don't have any such large items to take to FL. With the back seat moved all the way back, you do not add any flat floor space behind the front seats, since the back seats are mounted on a step above the fuel tank(?), etc., and you also lose the space between the back seats & rear area floor.

With the back seat backs vertical, the back seat cushion is 19-20" deep & has 24" to the top of the short middle head rest; so you can put 6" taller items on the back seat than in the rear area without blocking the rear view mirror, and up to 32" tall items right behind the driver. It is good to hear that the Softex cushions do not permanently dent.

Well, we will see if we can fit all our stuff in a few days! Hopefully, we will not need a Thule Transporter.

7. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As you can see from my photo I had a 2012 Prius v, model 3. We used it for 3 years to transport all our item to FL for our 5 month stay in The sunshine state. This fall we purchased a new 2015 v model 5. I think this 2015, model 5 has slightly more interior space than the 2012 , 3. I can tell you from actual experience that we had more room to pack our items, when the rear seats were folded down, I tried it both ways in the 2012, model 3. Don't forget about the spare tire area, you would be surprised how much odds and ends you can cram in that area. (For instance, golf shoes). Also we do not take suitcases for clothing , only soft duffel or Gym bags ( they fit / pack much better than suitcases ).
    We should be leaving shortly for our annual snowbird safari, in the 2015 model 5. then I will have a better idea on any extra space in the Model 5. Have a save trip. I have not gotten around to updating my photo to the 2015 Prius v yet.

8. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep in mind that you want to put heavy "stuff" well forward in the rear space. AND, don't forget you need to keep the vent space clear. (Maybe this doesn't apply to your model.) By loading heavy stuff forward handling will feel better than if loaded to the rear. It will also compress the folded down rear seats to almost flat. I find the small trench behind the front seats ideal for snacks and you can also slide things in from the side open door.

Remember, if you fold the seats upright you loose the thickness of the setbacks and loose the open space so having to package to fit can be a pain.

There is more room in the back than you think and since you have outside mirrors just fill it up.

SM-G900H ?