1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paid off my 0% interest loan.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JimboPalmer, Dec 31, 2011.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I went in to buy a Prius cash, but Toyota was offering 0% interest loans to buy a Prius, so I invested my money and paid monthly payments. I am done, I have the title today.

Now I start double mortgage payments. I can't 'save' at 4.75%, but I can reduce my home loan. The most I can find in short term 'savings' is 1.21%

Short Term Investment Options In GE Capital | GE Interest Plus

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but 5 years from now, you might wish you still had that 4.75% mortgage. although, you can get 3.5 -4.25 these days.;)

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In 5 years I plan to own the house outright.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know, but i'd rather have a low interest mortgage and write off when interest rates go up!

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In what did you invest?

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As you near the end of your loan the interstate is minimal. I don't get the argument of having a payment? Cash is king.

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sitting at Fixed 3.875%, 5 years to go!
    WooHoo!

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would have offered to pay cash for the car in return for a lower purchase price. But maybe you did, and they said no.

You can get in the 4% to 7% range in some corporate bonds. Vanguard Long-Term Investment Grade fund is currently paying 4.84%, and their High-Yield corporate bond fund is paying 6.52%, but those latter bonds are below investment grade. Individual bond issues have the added risk of too many eggs in one basket, while bond funds reduce the risk by spreading your money over many issues.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cash is king. if you pay off your mortgage, who has the cash?:rolleyes:

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My spouse was adverse even to 3 month CDs, she did not want any 'term'. We compromised by $2000 in Passbook savings and all the rest in GE Bonds. I can get them back to checking in 7 days. She is not unhappy, which makes me happy.

(I am paid Quarterly, while she gets 1/2 her annual salary in December, so we have a trickier time living 'paycheck to paycheck' than some one with a consistent income)

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The interest you'd get on a 3 month CD is too little to even bother counting. A CD today is just a safer way of stuffing money into the mattress. Unfortunately for savers (but fortunately for borrowers) interest rates are so low nowadays that there's no safe way to get money for your money. Either you put it in the bank or mattress and it sits there doing nothing in relative safety, or you invest it with a greater or lesser degree of risk.

OTOH, there are some good returns to be had for what I regard as acceptable risk for a certain part of my money, while most sits in what I hope are safe investments. If my "safe" investments fail, it's probably along with a general economic collapse which would render the alternatives useless. (The end-of-the-world crown think that when armageddon comes, gold will have value. But you can't eat gold. The only things that will have value then are food, the means to produce food, and weapons that can be used to steal or protect food.) So I'm not worried because in that case nothing I could do now would save me.

I don't know enough about GE to have an opinion, but I suppose it's probably one of the safer ways to earn a measly 1.2%. That means a thousand dollars will earn you twelve dollars at the end of a year.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was in cd's and treasuries when they were paying 8%. life was good. now, if i want to retire, i have to figure out how to make 3-5% just to make ends meet. it's not that i don't trust wall street, i just don't like being a co conspirator.:cool: